• Published 6th Feb 2012
  • 4,594 Views, 300 Comments

Forsaken - Iron_Hooved



Framed for an attempt on the Princess, Twilight Sparkle embarks on a quest to discover the truth.

  • ...
13
 300
 4,594

Without a trace

The pegasi ponies of Canterlot swarmed under the blue sky, hovering bits of a grayish puffy concoction into a single gargantuan, Zeus-quality thundercloud. Some of them moved in single file, laboriously adding their bits to the ever-growing cumulonimbus, like ants bringing food into their ant pile. Others were zooming around like bees, darting from one place to the next, bucking out small puffs of white clouds, merrily engaged in a make-believe version of pinball. Contemplating this scene from his office window, D.A. Silver Tongue was quietly listening to his assistant, who was frantically flipping through a notepad as she read the latest reports on a variety of cases the office was handling.

"And apparently that Penny Worth conveniently took back his confession after Officer Gulping Donuts spilled his morning coffee all over the copy of the original document."

"Uh-huh."

"And of course they've sent in a request to see if we could get them a new copy, but that new intern Loose Screws seems to have misplaced the file again!"

"Uh-huh."

"There's also the case with the serial prankster, who keeps on sneaking into houses at night to scribble obscene drawings on the flanks of ponies. The Society for the Creation of Reasonable Opportunities for Talented but Underdeveloped Mares as well as the National Blank Flank Association are in an uproar!"

"Mhmm."

"And there's still no word on the whereabouts of Commander Storm Chaser as well as those of the fugitive, Twilight Sparkle."

His eyes nearly popped out of his skull as D.A. Silver Tongue was hit with a sudden realization. He turned around to look at the aqua-colored filly, who lifted her eyes from the paper she was holding and peered at him behind her red spectacles. "Wait a minute, the Society for the Creation of Reasonable Opportunities for Talented but Underdeveloped Mares? Doesn't that shorten to-"

"Sir! Be serious for a minute!" Yelled the filly, her pink eyes flashing dangerously. "The report from the Imperial Guard says that on the eve of the twenty-fifth they cornered the fugitive near one of her friends' home in Ponyville-"

A sudden alarm went off in the D.A.'s head and he raised his forearm to stop the merciless barrage of words that was being hurled at him. "Hold on for a second. Which friend was this? Where did they corner her?"

The filly ran her left hoof over her short straight fuchsia mane, lifting it from her right eye and gently tucking it behind her ear. "It appears it was at a tailoring shop. A place called 'Carrousel Boutique' belonging to one Miss Rarity."

'Damn them! So they had helped her escape... Rarity probably left her something at her place, knowing it might be safe as opposed to her home! No, wait. That couldn't be it... The soldiers ransacked the place right after he took her into custody, he remembered that from all the paperwork he'd filled due to that rogue commander's impromptu searches, lacking proper authorization. Then there's the fact that they'd all been very cooperative at first, as if they'd doubted Miss Twilight for a minute. It was them who pointed out her strange behavior in the weeks previous to their trip to Canterlot. Then why would she go through all the trouble of sneaking past dozens of guards just to get inside a tail-'

"Disguises!" Said the unicorn out loud making the filly stumble backward and topple out of sight behind a large wooden chest.

"I beg your pardon D.A. sir?" Called his assistant beneath a pile of papers.

"Nemo Ius, can you tell me what happened after they had her cornered?"

The filly started rummaging through the papers in the floor in search of her notepad. "Uhm, yes. Apparently she resisted arrest and fled, using her magic to bring down a two ton water container on the guards."

"Did she have anything on her?" insisted the stallion, now pulling out the metal drawers in his filing cabinet and rummaging through folders.

The filly flipped through a couple of pages before answering. "Well yes, she seemed to be carrying pink bags and her assistant had a brown satchel, which was later found out to have been stolen from the military encampment nearby."

"Aha!" Exclaimed the unicorn in triumph as he pulled out a particularly thick folder, with pictures poking out of the sides. He laid it open on the table, the pictures spilling over onto the floor, and began flipping through the pages by magic. "Miss Sparkle fled into the Everfree Forest on the morning of the twenty-fourth. According to this report, at that time she didn't have any sort of gear on her!"

Nemo Ius turned her head quizzically, trying to process this information. "In other words...."

"In other words she broke into the tailor's shop to swipe costumes, dresses, anything that she could use to disguise herself," finished the D.A. as he scribbled notes and pinned some pictures on a large wooden board on the left side of the room.

The filly's right eyebrow flew upward faster than a hungry parasprite on apple bucking season. "Why on Equestria would she risk her freedom gathering costume changes? If you ask me she was probably nicking stuff to go into hiding, abroad," suggested the filly emphasizing the last word.

"Really now Nemo? Why not break into somepony else's house then? Why specifically the tailor shop? Heck! Most ponies don't normally wear clothes! I bet she's up to no good again, and I'll bet you that if we pay Miss Rarity a visit we'll find that a heap of her dresses went missing," concluded the unicorn as he made his way over to his desk and flipped through the stack of forms laying on top.

"But how are we supposed to find out what she took? I hardly think we'll get any answers if we just stroll around and a-"

She was forcibly interrupted as the stallion levitated a sheet of paper in front of her face. "This is the inventory the guards made when they searched the Boutique: whatever she took, it's on this list," explained the D.A., furiously scribbling away on a form he'd pulled out.

"Invent-? What?" said the filly her eyes wide with shock and confusion. "Sir, if I could just get your attenmmf-" began the filly timidly, but was interrupted as the unicorn folded the form he'd filled out, put it in an envelope and stuffed it in her mouth.

"Take that letter to Judge Eager Mallet: it contains a form requesting a search warrant for Carrousel Boutique. Then go to your house and pack your bags, if we move fast then we might have Miss Sparkle in custody before the end of next wee-"

"Sir!" protested the filly, spitting out the envelope. She stood there glowering at him as she usually did whenever he got into one of his frenzies.

The unicorn ceased all movement, a coat hanger conspicuously protruding from the traveling coat he'd just slipped on and a levitating briefcase stuffed full of papers on his side. He turned around to look at his assistant. "Yes, Nemo?"

The filly stared at him for a second, drew a deep breathed and sighed. "Sir, I'm afraid we can't leave just yet," she said in a calm, and rational tone.

"Why not?"

"Well, the report also says that, right after Twilight Sparkle evaded capture at Ponyville, Commander Storm Chaser pursued her and went missing shortly after that," explained the filly as she read out the last notes of the report.

"Went missing?" repeated the stallion in a puzzled tone.

"Yes, sir. The Imperial Guard resumed the chase four days ago, after sighting the suspect on Dragon Mountain. But due to bad weather conditions they lost her trail, and that of the commander," added the filly, thrusting the notepad on the D.A.'s hooves for him to read.

Silver Tongue levitated the notepad in front of him and browsed through the content, torn between disbelief and annoyance. "Why wasn't I told right away?!" Demanded the unicorn.

Nemo Ius rolled her eyes, and let out an impatient noise. "Sir, I have been trying to tell you all day, but you get so worked up you hardly ever listen!" Pouted the filly stamping her hoof.

Silver Tongue gave her an apologetic look and patted her on the head. "Sorry about that Nemo, old habits die hard I guess."

The filly smiled back. "So what do we do now sir? We have an escaped fugitive, a pending warrant, and a missing hothea-commander!" she added hastily with an embarrassed grin.

The D.A.'s head started pounding as he pictured the reaction of the military brass in Canterlot. "Ugh, I think I feel a migraine coming on."

"I'll ask Miss Light Hooves to get your aspirins sir," said Nemo Ius before exiting promptly from the office.

The unicorn laid back on his chair and raised a hoof over his eyes, covering them. He let out a deep sigh overcome with a sense of foreboding. 'If the generals get wind of this they'll see this as an opportunity for a promotion and start fighting and feuding with each other over the position of Commander-In-Chief of the Imperial Guard, rather than focusing their resources on finding either the fugitive or the missing commander. Hay! We'd better find the commander before the news spread or we'll have a civil war on our hooves! I guess we'll just have to deal with all of it at once....'

"Buck it all."


******


Neither Twilight nor Spike had ever been in a city as big as Manehattan. The isolated urban jungle stood at the edge of a vast inlet, completely cut off by the Drackenridge Mountain Range in the East and a desert, across the sea, that stretched endlessly on the West. There, the city rose out of the huge plains where it stood, visible for miles.

The odd couple made their way across Mane Street, trying to blend into the crowd. Granted, they were having a hard time warding off attention with the peculiar disguises they were wearing, but at least nobody seemed to recognize them. Once or twice a passerby had stopped to observe the quaint little couple making them, if anything, more nervous and suspicious looking than they already were. But if their chosen wardrobe wasn't inconspicuous enough, their behavior made them stick out like sore hooves.

First off, ladies did not stumble around in elaborate, long French satin dresses and matching chapeaux right in the middle of summer, unless it was on Sundays. Second, such an attire was to be worn only while playing croquet on fancy gatherings. Third, salmon was out this season, in favor of pale green. Fourth, Manehattanite gentlecolts did not jump up and down the street, pointing at every little thing in their path. Fifth, nor did they engage in imaginary sword fights with their walking canes. Sixth, though the tailcoat and the top hat the chap was wearing were magnificent, his mustache was most obviously fake.

"Check it out Twi! Isn't it amazing?!" piped the little dragon, pointing with excitement at the skyscrapers towering high above them.

Twilight flushed in a deep shade of red as the ponies around them gave her a look full of contempt. "Spike, shush! Your antics are making us stand out too much. You act like we're a couple of tourists," she said, levitating the dragon by his tail and bringing his head on level with hers.

"I can't help it, it's all just so different compared to Canterlot and Ponyville!" yelled out the dragon, unabashed.

Twilight sighed. "I know this must be very exciting for you and all, but remember what we're here for. That commander said the gunpowder used for the bomb was shipped from here, we can't afford to get sidetracked," said Twilight with a hint of impatience on her voice, setting Spike back on the ground.

Spike raised an eyebrow. "But how in Equestria are we supposed to find any clues in a city as big as this?" asked the dragon, shrugging.

"Don't worry, I have a plan. But we're gonna have to wait till it's dark, I hardly think we can just stroll around asking about illegal shipments," replied Twilight, her eyes sparkling mysteriously. "First we need to get checked into a hotel."

"Any ideas?" Asked Spike.

Twilight's lips curved into a devious smile as she eyed a huge rectangular building made of granite, across the street. Out of the base's structure rose yet another building made from brick and limestone, not quite as tall as a skyscraper but tall nonetheless. The structure ended with two towers topped with bronze-clad cupolas. Above the front door stood out large golden letters, at least 6 feet tall, giving out a warm welcome: "Waldhoof Astoria Hotel."

Spike gulped. "Oh dear, I hope they take Equestrian Express."

"C'mon Spike, just like we rehearsed, remember?" Said Twilight as she made her way across the street.

Spike gave a prolonged sigh and followed suit after her. "I've got a bad feeling about this."

The couple lifted their noses as high as they would possibly go and marched towards the entrance. This was, perhaps, a horrible idea seeing how no sooner than they had done so, Spike tripped over the hem of Twilight's dress causing her to trip and smash headlong into the welcome carpet. The porter, a burly moccasin-colored earth pony with a brown mane hurried towards her and helped her up.

"Are you all right, mademoiselle?"

Twilight's eyes spinned in opposite directions, as the stallion's face swam in and out of focus. "Did anybody get that carriage's license plate?" She mumbled stupidly.

"Thank you sir, I'll take it from here," said Spike, pulling Twilight's forearm over his shoulder and helping her inside. The porter bid them good day and muttered something that sounded suspiciously like nouveau riche.

"You okay Twi," asked Spike, giving Twilight a little shake.

Twilight closed her eyes and rubbed her forehead. "Ugh, my hea-" she started but fell silent the minute she open her eyes. She felt her jaw drop, her eyes trying to take in all the luxury in front of her. The marble floor was so clean and thoroughly waxed that you could see your reflection in it, the circular columns that rose from the ground matched the floor and bore carvings of the baroque period on the granite base, they stretched up into a vault that depicted harmony between the royal pony sisters (as perceived by Domanetello), a stone fountain sat in the middle where the statue of a filly wearing a long robe poured water out a jug.

"Ehem."

Twilight turned her head to pinpoint the location of the fake cough. It was a gray unicorn with a long ivory mane, combed into what looked like a fancy hairdo, or a cake topping depending on your perspective. He was sitting behind a large wooden bureau, looking smugly at them.

"Yes, how may I help you?" called the stallion from behind his bureau as he beckoned both of them forward.

The both of them approached the reception, trying to look as snobbish as possible. "Good day to you sir. I am Monsieur Blasé, and this is my wife Madame Crème de la Crème," explained Spike as he gestured toward Twilight and himself. "We are here on a visit from Canterlot and wished to be accommodated into your magnificent hotel."

The stallion looked at them skeptically. "Visitors from Canterlot mmm? For such a sophisticated looking pair I don't think I've ever heard your names."

Spike began to sweat and played with his mustache, before he managed to answer however, Twilight interjected.

"We travel around a lot you see? Why, we came here because our good friends, Mister Fancy Pants and his wife Missis Fleur de Lis, recommended it," she said as she pulled out an envelope bearing Fancy Pants' crest (a souvenir she'd taken from Rarity's bedside table).

The stallion opened his eyes in shock at the sight of the envelope, but before he could even hope to recover from the surprise Twilight went on the offensive again.

"My husband works as a royal messenger for the princesses, we're here on royal business to take care of a few duties. I trust that won't be a problem?"

She had done it. The stallion nearly tripped in his hurry to get out from the reception desk.

"Of course not, Madame!" He exclaimed giving the both of them the lowest possible bow he could muster. "Allow me to show you to our finest chambers!" He added excitedly and summoned three baggage carriers. "Take the belongings of the messieurs to the imperial suite, pronto!" He instructed the ponies, who quickly obeyed and disappeared with their luggage.

Spike and Twilight exchanged a wink as the stallion led them up the long staircase sitting at the end of the reception hall. If they were going to live on the run, and lie through their teeth while on the hunt for a maniac, they might as well have a good time.