• Published 3rd Jun 2024
  • 541 Views, 200 Comments

In Space, We Don't Abandon Innocence - David Silver



In the voyage between the stars, it is easy for humans to lose themselves. Their ship is outfitted with assistants to help with this, to remind them that childish innocence is something to hold and cherish. The Pony Intelligences are ready for duty.

  • ...
9
 200
 541

9 - How Did We Get Here?

Commander Tela paced slowly in her office. The lights were low, bringing up the lights of her terminal and her desk. She reached a hand up to rub at her forehead, closing her eyes. "That was strange."

Her personal assistant appeared. They were a pony, as most were. They flipped their little wings out. "Hey!" Scootaloo waved. "Can I help?"

Tela cracked a faint smile. "Maybe. Has there been anything unusual going on with Twilight and the other assistants?"

Scootaloo rubbed at her chin. "Well, it's always something. Twilight isn't talking right now." She sank to her little haunches. "So I can't ask her. The others seem alright. Apple Bloom wants me to visit her. Can I?"

Tela raised a brow at that. "She knows you're my assistant, right? Besides, I'm not sure I like you fraternizing with other programs."

Scootaloo flipped up to her hooves, beaming brightly. "We're all on the same computer! Besides, she's my friend." Scootaloo danced in place. "I promise I'll visit when you're not calling me. I'll be good!"

Tela chuckled as she gestured Scootaloo off. "Alright, alright. You are permitted. You can tell me about her if you wish, but you are always to answer to me first."

"As if I need reminding." Scootaloo saluted sharply. "Rainbow would never betray a friend and superior officer. I'd look awful to her if I started."

Tela turned her head aside. "Would you? Then please, go be with your friend." She leaned in. "But you will be back the moment I call for you?"

Scootaloo jolted upright at that. "Of course! I won't even go right now. We're already talking. That'd be so rude." She waved that thought away with a hoof. "Now, how can I help?"

Tela propped up her head in her hands as she smiled at Scootaloo. "Well, why don't you tell me about Apple Bloom?"

Scootaloo's eyes widened at that. "Oh! Sure!" She hugged the air and an image appeared of the lively earth pony filly. "She's Applejack's sister and works with her over in agriculture. They work really hard to make sure you have food. We met way before we were programs." She did a little canter in place. "Best friends forever! We don't always get to meet up on every assignment though."

Tela waved a hand towards Scootaloo. "That was all just who she is, what does she like?"

Scootaloo turned mid-canter to face Tela. "Lots of things! Um, well, there's apples, of course. But, really, she, and I, and Sweetie Belle, we just love helping other ponies out."

Tela frowned with thought on that. "Sweetie Belle? Another program?"

"Mmhm." Scootaloo twirled in place. "Rarity's personal assistant, and little sister." She tugged at her uniform a little. "She's also part of the crew. And also one of my best friends!" She waved wildly, summoning a new unicorn filly to stand beside Apple Bloom. Like Apple Bloom, they were just an image of what Scootaloo was considering. "She also likes helping ponies when she can, oh, and singing! She has a real nice voice."

Tela let out a soft chuckle. "Thank you, Scootaloo. Why don't you visit with them? I'll call for you if I need you."

Scootaloo lit up with excitement. "Crusader meet up!" She vanished with a vinal hoot of jubilation, leaving Tela alone in the room.

Commander Tela sat back in her chair, resting against it with her hands behind her head. "Assistants aren't supposed to be emotional like that. Why is Scootaloo the way she is?" She shook her head slowly. "Because we have living programs." She pondered a moment if the benefits and the costs aligned, versus having programs that just did what they were designed to do. "I suppose there is no such thing as the perfect program. We must design the best solution to the problem at hand."

"It seems your people encountered something of a curiosity," added in the cool tones of Sunset Shimmer. "I have several files about the evolution of pony assistants and their uses over time."

Tela straightened her posture, looking towards where Sunset Shimmer was appearing. "Go ahead."

The computer screen began to fill with text. "As you know, when Twilight Sparkle first reached Earth, it was a trial to communicate. The process took years of effort from both parties, and resulted in much good. She was lightyears from her home at that point, and she missed it." The image swapped to Ponyville. "So she recreated it. She already had the programs of some ponies, digital beings. She gave them a home to live in when not assisting or inhabiting a body."

"The town was composed of a limited system," continued Sunset, "but as she continued to assist humans, her programs continued to grow. Her understanding of the world became greater, and she created a new form of digital life for herself and others. And now you have us. Programs designed to help, or 'assist', humans and ponies, regardless of need."

Sunset coughed into a hand. "Any questions? I feel may be rambling on ahead of you."

Tela rose up from her seat. "And we've done a lot of damage by deleting those early efforts, haven't we?"

"Well, they were only ever simulations to begin with." Sunset shrugged gently. "Twilight herself decided when the old versions had to go. But, iteration after iteration, she got the 'simulated' copies to the point that they behaved properly. There's little functional difference in an original, like Rainbow Dash, and a simulated copy, like your Scootaloo."

Tela propped a hand against her desk. "But that's just it. We keep saying simulated, but you aren't that. You're not even like Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, copies from past versions."

Sunset hesitated at that. "Look, I don't like lying. This isn't a programmed thing, it's just me." She put a hand on her chest. "I'm as real as any program can get. I used to live, breathe, and I died. But here I am. I'm an original, like Rainbow ."

"My Scootaloo has as much personality as your Rainbow Dash," answered Tela slowly. "But she was still simulated. What is the difference? Is there one?"

Sunset glanced aside at that. "Fundamentally, I think not. I know Twilight better than anypony else. She wouldn't have said we were different if we weren't. But that difference is one of origin at this point." She dusted herself off. "Even pony or human, we're just alive. Digitally or not."

Tela inclined her head with thought. "But if that's so, does that mean it's okay to treat Scootaloo like she's real?" She furrowed her brow. "Am I a parent, with her as my assistant?"

Sunset raised a hand quickly. "No. Scootaloo, despite appearances, has had over a hundred years of life. She'll act like an excitable little filly forever, until the last copy of her is deleted, or she changes her mind on her own, but she knows which way is up. She is an adult. An immature adult, depending on how you look at it, but an adult. You don't need to be worried about that."

Tela brought her hands together before her. "Alright. I guess that's fine. This just feels wrong." She sighed as she rubbed at her face. "Scootaloo, why couldn't you be normal? A machine like every other one out there?"

Sunset came over, reaching out a hand. It wasn't as if they could actually touch; she was in her library. "Scootaloo is normal. As normal as any of this gets, Commander. Did you want to continue with the history lesson or are you done for now?"

Tela waved that aside. "Maybe later. I'm sure I can access it from my console." She brought a hand to her chest. "Thank you for this, though. It helped a lot. Still, I hope Apple Bloom doesn't mind me borrowing her friend for a bit."

Sunset snorted at that. "We all have our jobs. I'm the data specialist." She saluted. "Call me if you need me." She vanished without a sound, leaving Tela in her room.

Tela looked around, spotting some of her personal belongings in the dark. She wandered over to the wall, her hands sliding over it as she made her way back to her bed. She didn't need to sleep, but the chance to sit down and process things was welcomed. "Captain, any progress following that beacon's trail?"

"No luck, yet." Roger sounded concerned. "It leads us to a dark nebula. We're still getting readings on the contents. Let me know if you come up with any good ideas."

"I'm on the case." She waved for that channel to close.

Commander Tela took a slow breath. "Back to work."


Twilight heaved a slow sigh. "I'm hurting the mission." She waved her hooves, carving out a window that showed the bridge and all the crewmembers that worked so hard without her, including some pony assistants. "They're headed home." She tensed. "My home."

Rarity placed a hoof on Twilight's shoulder. "Dear, we understand. I'm from there too. I miss Equestria too, if distantly." She leaned in. "Tell the truth, to yourself. Do you really miss Equestria, right now? You've built dozens of lives for yourself. You are an Earthling, dear."

Twilight hung her head. "I know." She turned away from the display, looking to her room. It was sparse at best. What use did a digital construct have for a fancy room? "But Celestia. She may still be alive. I can't ignore that." She worried her hooves. "My mentor, teacher, and last remaining mother figure."

Rarity hung her head. "I get it. Believe me, I do. I had parents. But, if it helps any, I don't miss them much." Rarity's features hardened. "I may sound cold saying this, but I haven't seen them in so long." She froze then. "But you did just see Celestia. Maybe I am misconstruing how it must feel, dear. Forgive me."

Twilight glanced back towards the main display. "You weren't wrong. I used to be so comfortable with that distance. Having her suddenly pushed in my face?" She shuddered gently. "Is Celestia still alive?" She shrank. "Will she be proud of me?"

Rarity ran a hoof down Twilight's side. "Oh, I think she will be, but what matters is your feelings on the matter." Rarity perked as something in the window caught her eye. "Right now, I think your humans need you, dear. They trust you. You are the glue that holds all of them, and us, together. No pressure." She tittered at that last part. "Seriously, dear, if you need a break, you let us know. We'll figure it out."

Twilight flicked an ear at that. "It's my job. I'll be fine." She smiled faintly as she came over to the display. "Commander Tela isn't getting along with Scootaloo."

Rarity reached over and swatted the window away. "Commander Tela is asking questions, just like you are, darling. You'll both figure through it." She smooched Twilight on the nose. "If you want a question, dear, you'll ask why you made programs able to kiss one another when neither even has a physical form at the moment, hm? Quite silly of you." She proved that silliness by smooching Twilight atop her snout. "Absurd." She nuzzled into the absurdity. "Allowing us to shower you with affection. What were you thinking?"

Twilight twisted up her face. "I was lonely, I guess. But so were you, and Applejack, and Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy. And every other assistant."

Rarity spread her hooves. "I'm not complaining, dear. I'm giving my thanks that I can hug and kiss and generally fawn over you. You deserve it. Now, chin up." She put a hoof under Twilight's chin. "And get back to duty. I know you want to."

Twilight leaned into the hoof a moment before sighing and nodding. "I do. I don't know why I was feeling so sad all of a sudden." She rubbed at her face. "I think seeing Celestia, even digitally, shook me up." She cringed. "Still wondering if she's actually there or not. I suppose there's only one way to find out."

Twilight vanished, and Rarity a moment later. The room itself casually dissolved, freeing up the computer resources with no programs around to observe it being present.

Author's Note:

A lot of thoughts about the past, and some of the future.

Join the special community of folks who like my stories and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!