• Published 7th Oct 2014
  • 10,891 Views, 1,075 Comments

Sunset Shimmer: Element Bearer - ConningOfficer



A heroine instead of a villain, Sunset Shimmer becomes a leader to her friends at Canterlot High. She begins by helping Sonata Dusk after the Battle of the Bands...

  • ...
22
 1,075
 10,891

Chapter Twenty-Seven

The metallic echoes of the Black Trident's destruction rang through the mesmerizing mineral formations of Bridal Cave, leaving the observers in a stunned silence at the sudden disruption. Just as the atmosphere started to become oppressive, a gurgling chuckle resounded in everyone's ears as Leviathan’s bemused voice boomed throughout the cavern. “I’ve been waiting for you, Sonata.”

Sonata Dusk stood about twenty feet from the chamber’s entrance, surrounded by a sky-blue sphere of light four feet in diameter centered on her upper chest. Her blue streaked ponytail curled over her right shoulder, adding a splash of vibrancy to the ivory-colored shirt she had borrowed from the Carousel Boutique. Her lilac eyes fierce with conviction, Sonata lowered her right arm from its previous “follow-through” motion and pointed accusingly at Leviathan while brushing dirt from her left hand onto her black pants.

“ 'Waiting for me?' So ‘Great Betrayer’, exactly why is it that you have been waiting for me? Is it because Adagio is on the verge of seeing you for the deceiver you truly are? Is it because Aria now fights against you or because your words have no influence on the others? Or maybe it's because there is nothing you can do without us! It’s time to put an end to your lies and show us what you truly are and whom you hold captive!” Her voice rose and fell with the musical dynamics of a heroic theme as she took command of the stage and scene.

Adagio produced Sunset Shimmer’s butterfly knife and gripped it tightly while keeping the blade sheathed. The light emanating from Sonata reflected in her magenta eyes as she looked her fellow Siren up and down, her lips slowly twisting into a sardonic grin. “That’s a neat trick to bring your own flashlight with you. Perhaps that bump on your head has affected more than just your judgment! It’s certainly kept your cowardly tendencies in check. Aria refused me, and she will pay for that betrayal with her life. With that in mind, have you reconsidered my offer to serve me once more? I'm confident I can find a place for you on the palace staff,” she mocked.

Sonata, you’ve always wanted to be a princess, and this is your chance! Adagio will sacrifice the blonde female, and then she will give my tiara to you as she is crowned Queen. Wouldn’t that be nice?” Leviathan’s voice had lost its gravelly edge, and a tentacle shielded his watchful violet eyes from Sonata’s magical light.

Adagio’s cruel sarcasm melted away, as she cautiously raised her index finger towards the dark being. “Master, I thought that Apple Bloom would be permitted to be my—“

The black tentacles flailed in fury. “Silence, Your Highness! Sonata’s arrival coupled with her disobedience changes everything. You failed to keep her faithful to me! We must remake our agreement.” The evil vapors retreated from the front of the cavern and concentrated around Applejack, Adagio and Apple Bloom.

Observing from the sidelines, Sunset Shimmer dried her tears on her dirty forearms and lifted her head as the pale blue glow approached. She heard Sonata softly humming a tune to herself, and the sphere of light surrounding her pulsed subtly in time to her song. Her heart fluttered, and He Who Swims in Darkness’ wall of despair eroded brick by mental brick. “Keep going, Sonata! Come closer to us so we can get Applejack and Apple Bloom to safety,” she softly encouraged.

“No, Sunset. Adagio must not be hurt until she sees her Master without his mask. Listen to his words carefully! He's truly scared of what I can reveal, so I won’t risk Adagio, Apple Bloom or Applejack by making a move too early. Don’t get me wrong, Sunset. Leviathan must be stopped, but this moment has been centuries in the making, so please let me play out this scene my way!” Sonata quietly but confidently insisted as she flipped her ponytail behind her in a familiar gesture.

Adagio glanced down at Apple Bloom, and then skeptically raised a perfectly-sculpted eyebrow as she addressed her Master. “Remake our agreement at this late moment?”

If you wish to be Queen, stop your interminable delays! We should be conquering Aquastria by now!” The inky blob of darkness pressed itself close to the barrier, and the deep voice thundered with impatience. “Slay the sacrifice and roll her to me, or I may crown another and vent my divine displeasure upon you!

Rarity gasped as she felt her blood turn to ice from Leviathan's words, but a glance at Sonata as she moved towards the center of the chamber renewed her hope. She slowly made a stealthy retreat from Adagio, gently nudging Rainbow Dash as she passed. The fashionista didn't dare interrupt Sonata, so she silently sat cross legged next to the cage, reaching inside in an attempt to rouse Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. Settling to the ground, her body quivered with slightly diminished fear.

Standing at Sunset’s side, Sonata helped her to her feet with a warm smile as the light washed over them both, then turned and snapped at Leviathan, her eyes flashing dangerously. “There is no other potential queen, Betrayer!” She turned to Adagio, and softened her voice. “Your Highness, all three of us have been deceived for our entire lives. There’s no shame in being wrong, and it will all be clear once you’ve seen the truth. Sunset, through her magic and her necklace, showed me the way! You have a powerful sense of obligation to mermares and to Aquastria, but that nobility within you has been twisted to his will.”

Flashing her familiar crooked smile, Sonata modeled her homemade bracelet with the pink heart and jagged eighth note crafted from semiprecious stones and continued. “My twin brother Coral Aegis, who made this for me when I was chosen to be sacrificed, called that terrible creature we served ‘Great Betrayer.’ Adagio, you must know now that the beast before you does not protect the Empire. He lies and only serves himself through trickery and slavery!”

"My magic protects all of Aquastria, Adagio. The males and lesser races are so much happier without the burden of choice. You know this! My laws are stern but with good reason.” Leviathan’s violet gaze glanced at Sonata as she slowly advanced, but he continued to address Adagio. “Take the unicorn’s knife and give me what I desire. The human female is so close that I can almost reach her. The order I impose will make you powerful again, Adagio. Without me, chaos has reigned beneath the waves, and your people suffer.

Before the dark being’s voice and his violet mist could reassert their control, Sonata removed her pack and produced the Aquastrian history tome. “Adagio, that’s not true! My twin brother, the one I tried to hide from you, created an age of togetherness and harmony in Aquastria that continues today. History names him ‘Liberator’, and he led the seaponies in a revolt against your mother. One of his goals was to find where we had been banished and return us to Aquastria!” She held opened the book to the two-paged picture of the Hall of Freedom. “See, they’re all making music together after the Betrayer’s stain was finally washed away.”

Adagio took a step away from Applejack, who remained too terrified to move, and squinted in an effort to view the details of the far-away illustration. She moved to the edge of the mind-clouding mist and mumbled dreamily, “Mermares, seaponies, narwhal and aqualions making music together? What would that sound like?”

Sonata, my child, you have been misled. Coral Aegis desired power, just as Adagio’s mother and grandmother did. All beings crave the gifts I can provide. His choice to destroy my temple constituted a grave mistake, and his so-called harmonious age was only a myth.” As Leviathan’s voice flowed through the chamber like malevolent sludge, Sonata’s sphere of light slowly deflated, and Adagio returned to where Applejack lay on the sacrificial slab, fidgeting with the knife in her hand. “Does your book tell you about how Coral Aegis ruthlessly hunted down and killed my mermare priestesses so that I could no longer help the Empire? Did it mention how the lesser races consumed so much food that they weakened Aquastria? Remember that the victors get the opportunity to write history and would be eager to cover up your twin brother’s murderous crusade. The First Chancellor served me well, just not in my name.

Seeing Sonata’s resolve waver, Discord slowly sat up and laboriously snapped his fingers. His tired, raspy voice echoed across the cavern. “Listen to me, Sonata! Remember what I told you in the boutique and remember your courage in making this journey. Don’t just tell us what you know, tell us what you believe!” He displayed a small piece of stained-glass portraying a light brown gargoyle with compassionate brown eyes. Pinkie and Fluttershy still clutched at Discord, but they opened their eyes and ceased their fearful trembling.

Sonata's eyebrows furrowed as she gave the Spirit of Chaos a slow nod, and berated Leviathan with renewed fervor. “I know my brother! Your servants couldn’t have destroyed the kindness he always gave to me, even when I acted selfishly. I feel in my heart that he would have given any creature the chance to choose his or her fate for themselves. He would have accepted their surrender. But, you do all you can to take those choices away from others. There’s no other explanation of why the royal guard or the priestesses fought to the death.” Sonata took another half-dozen steps towards Adagio, with the book still open. Her voice rose, with her lilac eyes passionately appealing to the conflicted Siren princess. “Come here, and let me show you the truth!”

Come here, slay the girl and I will give you my Trident again along with all of the power of an Aquastrian Queen!” Leviathan offered, his deep voice rising and falling seductively. “Sonata doesn’t have the pedigree to rule. Her simplicity has always been endearing, but you know well that duty demands sacrifice. Her cowardice at the Crystal Glacier proves she can’t take on the burdens that you can. Come erase the awful effects inflicted upon you by the alicorns’ servants. Commit yourself to the Empire and to me once again!

Standing on shaky legs, Sunset tugged her thin sweatshirt down over her hips and spread her arms wide. A dim green-blue glow surrounded the Element of Harmony as she passionately beseeched the wavering Siren princess. “It’s all about choices, Adagio! After a thousand years, the magic of friendship made it possible for you to decide for yourself how best to use your talents. Learn from my mistakes and take this one step at a time, Your Highness. The Trident is gone. Let’s start with putting away my knife, and then you can choose to help Applejack get up.”

The evil creature from beyond the veil continued the stalemate, and belched forth even more violet mist to blanket Applejack, Apple Bloom and Adagio, blocking their view of Sonata’s shrinking sphere of sky-blue light. “You have chosen, Adagio! You were chosen the moment you first drew water through your gills! Give me the power I need to help you smite your enemies.

“No, Highness, don’t listen to him. He’s playing games!” Aria, her face illuminated by Chainbreaker’s white glow, struggled futilely against the bonds the Trident had placed around her body prior to the weapon’s unlikely destruction. “We have done many terrible things while our minds were clouded by the Master’s evil hunger, but we haven’t murdered! Sunset and Sonata are right. Why can’t you see?”

Adagio took another step away from Applejack and the gateway, earning a furious roar from Leviathan. She raised her eyebrow and skeptically asked, “Sonata, how did you change so suddenly? Not even two days ago, you tried to have me killed and steal my crown.”

I may yet entertain that as a viable option for your ascendance, Sonata! Now, cease this disobedience, extinguish that infernal light and serve your Master!” Leviathan’s rage shook the cavern walls once again.

Sonata pointedly ignored Leviathan’s interruption. “In our anger, we both missed parts of what the other tried to say. You wanted my help against Raven, didn’t you?”

“Yes, I did,” said Adagio, nodding once.

“Well, my new friends must have destroyed her, and you now have other ways to return home that don’t involve him. What I’ve always wanted is for you and me to be equals. I don’t need to be a princess. I didn’t want to paint all of those dreary landscapes, but I did want you to be my friend.” Sonata’s sphere of light began to expand again, pushing away the violet mist. “The magic of Sunset’s necklace is powerful, and it showed me that all of the Master’s gifts are poison. I saw a world where I had murdered you, sacrificed those three girls and finally become Leviathan’s princess here in this world. His crown on my head would have ultimately driven me insane. With him, duty is not the two-way relationship you idealize. The Betrayer demands more and more until suddenly, the ruler becomes a shackled servant, and it all starts with a single death!”

Adagio’s mouth fell open, and she pressed her hand against her heaving chest. Her heart racing, she wiped a tear from her eye and silently stepped backwards towards Applejack, slowly shaking her head.

That’s it, Your Highness. I can make that fear of mortality go away forever.” Leviathan’s tentacles rippled hypnotically, and his sonorous voice seemed to be an irresistible force. “Don’t believe the words of a stained peasant whose actions have forever befouled her purity.

All of those who had recovered their faculties gasped at He Who Swims in Darkness’ vile, personal insult. Sonata’s temper flared, and the radiant sphere surrounding her flickered with eldritch energy. “You overplay your hand, monster!” she shouted. Pointing a blue-tinted finger at her former Master, her words formed a staccato drumbeat that marshalled her courage. “You speak of purity, when you order your monarchs to commit murder! True, I indulged my own lust and reveled in fleeting pleasures in order to feed the three of us in this world, but I am now working to clean that stain on my spirit.” She turned to Adagio and the anger fled Sonata’s voice. “I must show you what I have learned. Your Highness, in all the ways that value is measured in the Empire, my family and I were worthless. You were our general. Think of this like the battle it is! Why would Leviathan order Queen Blinding Dazzle to take me away from Coral Symphony?”

Adagio's brow furrowed as she considered Sonata's words, understanding beginning to light her face in the darkness. Suddenly, her eyes widened and she gasped as a revelation popped into her head. “The first rule of inter-clan warfare is to deprive your enemy of her greatest strength.” She staggered and nearly fell, whispering a long string of human obscenities. “Mother had the priestesses seize every set of twins because of the prophecy, but you and your brother were initially overlooked…” she trailed off.

Silence!” Leviathan roared, his attempts at guile at an end, and he focused his piercing violet eyes on Adagio, thus willing every wisp of vapor in the chamber to surround the Siren princess. Adagio staggered and wrapped her arms around herself while using a stalactite to keep herself from falling over.

The air surrounding Sonata crackled with benevolent energy. She inhaled deeply, and spoke confidently, using the tone she normally reserved for stage monologues. “Prophecies are never true on their face, and the power of legend and myth is inspiration. But, the story of the One Who Guides the Waves gave the seaponies and merstallions hope as it was passed from one to another in furtive whispers. Coral Aegis and I were special through our sibling love for one another, and I’m proud that he used my fall into darkness to inspire all of Aquastria to end the worship of the Great Betrayer! I will show you, Adagio! I will show everyone the truth!”

Goosebumps rose on Sunset’s skin, as the magical battle between Sonata and her former Master escalated. Her green-blue eyes were wide with wonder as she watched the blue sphere of light expand from Sonata and push Leviathan’s violet mist back towards the watery gateway.

Sonata raised her voice in the familiar tune that she, Adagio and Aria sang to one another during their banishment to keep their hunger and desperation at bay. She changed the key, the tempo and the lyrics, transforming it into a vibrant song of victory:

Lavenders blue, dilly dilly
Lavenders green
My brother dear, dilly dilly
At last it is clear
You were to fight,
While I would bring light!

Magic exploded forth from Sonata and the radiant sphere emanating from her encompassed the entire cavern. Adagio, stunned by the sudden brilliance, fell awkwardly and landed on her rear end. Leviathan pushed back with all of his dark might against his former slave’s song, his tendrils of darkness threatening to pierce the sky blue curve as it expanded towards the veil between worlds. Sonata’s fuzzy blue pony ears winked into existence atop her head, her delicate lilac-colored fins spread out behind her, and her blue streaked ponytail lengthened. Triumphantly, she composed another new verse of her favorite song:

You freed us all, dilly dilly
While I was in thrall
Through the Sunset, dilly dilly
I saw the light
No time for regret
Now my turn to fight

Sonata’s song threatened to burst through the gateway to reach the evil being, but the Great Betrayer counterattacked with a discordant roar that caused the sky-blue radiance to quiver and recede slightly. Adagio, at the focal point of the sonic battle, covered her ears and screamed in pain. At the sphere’s core, Sonata’s boots rose from the cave floor and she levitated into the air, hovering over the discarded shards of Adagio’s heart-pendant. The light surrounding her became brighter and wrapped her like a cocoon, but try as she might, Sonata couldn’t quite reach Leviathan with her song.

Aria felt herself being torn in two. A part of her called out to the evil being writhing in the darkness, but most of her heart ached to help Sonata in her fierce battle against her former Master. Still bound by the Trident’s power, Chainbreaker’s flanges continued to dig painfully into Aria’s chest, but her true pain existed deep within her spirit. The veil between worlds seemed stretched to the breaking point, and her heart beat a racing counter-rhythm to the magical mace’s pulses. Tilting her chin defiantly towards Sonata, she struggled to free herself against the weakening bands of darkness wrapped around her form. Aria examined the magically glimmering Aquastrian coral and observed the sparkling light from the broken chain links drawing itself into the star of her name-sigil on Chainbreaker’s head. She unclenched her fists, and noticed that her fingernails had made tiny crescent-moon wounds in her palms.

Aria, with a sense of purpose that came from deep within her soul, shouted, “Sonata, take my magic and fight! Become who you were destined to be!”

Aria sang a powerful fortissimo note that complemented Sonata’s melody. Somehow leveraging the struggle’s overwhelming arcane ambience, she reached to the core of her being and ripped all remaining magic from deep within her and hurled it away. Purple light streamed from her eyes and her mouth, forming a bar of eldritch radiance that shot straight for Sonata. When the magical bolt left Aria’s body, the violet glow in her eyes winked out, while the shock caused her to tremble and breathe heavily. Reacting to Aria’s selfless gift, the glowing crimson shards of Adagio’s heart-pendant levitated into the air, and the two light sources converged on the center of the radiant sphere.

Noooo!” screamed Leviathan. Howls of agony echoed from beyond the gate as he somehow reached his tentacle through the barrier, where it transformed into a black, five-fingered hand on the end of an impossibly long arm. The suckers on the dark limb’s fingertips reached hungrily for Applejack, who still lay on the stone slab, enthralled by Sonata’s awakening.

Her green-blue eyes widening with terror, Sunset saw Leviathan make his desperate grab towards the unsuspecting farmgirl. With uncanny dexterity and all the strength she could muster, she silently reached behind her bandolier’s sash. In one smooth motion, Sunset drew and threw the Equestrian silver dagger at the invading limb, steadying its flight with a hastily cast telekinesis spell. The powerful magic dweomer pierced Leviathan’s palm, and the dark being screamed in pain. Drops of midnight blood fell to the cavern floor, burning new holes into the rock as the hand retreated beyond the veil and became a tentacle once again.

“Sweet Celestia, she’s so beautiful!” exclaimed Sunset as the magical forces surrounding Sonata exploded into benevolent brilliance. She shielded her eyes and beheld the graceful figure at the center of the nimbus as the light slowly dimmed to a pale, serene blue that brought daylight to every recess of the dark cavern. Sonata gestured to Adagio with both arms as her song concluded:

It’s now your choice, dilly dilly.
As shown by my voice
Cast off your chains, dilly dilly
The darkness won’t reign
Truth shines in the sun,
Our light, it has won!

Sonata beamed at Sunset, her victorious smile reflected radiantly by the passion in her eyes. As the light dimmed to the point where Sonata’s features were visible, Sunset gasped at the awe-inspiring feminine beauty of the being floating above her. Sonata’s fins, while still a hue of lilac that matched her eyes, had transformed into faerie-like butterfly wings. Her fuzzy pony ears remained in place atop her head, but the darker streaks in her knee-length blue ponytail had deepened to a purple hue, matching Aria’s skin tone. Between Sonata’s collarbones, replacing the burn mark made by the Element of Redemption, a circular blue gem emitted a sky-blue glow from its numerous facets that coalesced into a radiant sphere. The light engendered feelings of courage and inspiration wherever it shined.

The Great Betrayer shrieked with rage, but the cacophony never reached into the bubble of light, where tranquility and silence reigned. Sonata hummed softly as her friends, now free of Leviathan’s terrible aura of fear, stood and marveled at her transformation.

“Who are you, Sonata?” Sunset asked with wonder, “What are you?”

Discord’s magic flashed, and his mismatched suit morphed into the canary-yellow doctor’s scrubs he had used to fool the security guards at Zodiac University Hospital. As his lapel pin orbited his head, the Spirit of Chaos walked over to Sunset Shimmer and handed her a pair of enormous pink balloons. “Why, it’s a girl, of course! Two girls: One human and one, well, I’ll let Sonata explain later. Congratulations!” He handed Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, who were rapidly recovering from their extended fright, bubble gum cigars from his outfit’s breast pocket.

Sonata’s laughter trilled, and one of her eyes closed in a conspiratorial wink as her boots softly touched the ground once more. “Discord, I’ll do my best to tell everyone what I know in a little bit, but you would do a better job. In the meantime, Sunset, Aria and I still have some work to do.”

“No, we all have work to do.!” Applejack stood and spat on the cave floor near the watery gate where Leviathan raged impotently. She drew her leg back, intending to drive the point of her boot into Adagio’s ribs.

Aria’s sharp order halted the attack before it began. “Don’t, Applejack!” The bonds holding Chainbreaker to her chest dissolved and Aria stood, flexing her aching muscles. “Let Sonata and Sunset finish this their way. After all, we’d all be dead if it weren’t for them!”

Applejack looked down at Adagio with disdain, then nodded at Aria and rushed to embrace her sister. Adagio, her magenta eyes wide with awe, tried and failed to look away from Sonata’s radiant form as she approached. Silently, the Siren princess scooted on her bottom towards the veil between worlds, retreating from her conqueror.

Sonata shook her head and extended her hand. “Dagi, it’s time to show you what you narrowly avoided.” She helped Adagio to her feet, gripped her by the shoulders and turned them both towards Leviathan, who futilely hurled himself against Sonata’s invading sphere of light.

“Sonata, I never knew you had this power within you…” Adagio trailed off as her yellow-tinted fingertips brushed tenderly against Sonata’s now-healed temple.

Smiling kindly at her former liege, Sonata gently removed Adagio’s hand from her face. “I didn’t either until just a few hours ago, but I like the feeling of bringing people together much more than tearing them apart. But, I promised that I’d show you the truth, and I will. Princess Adagio Dazzle, behold the Great Betrayer as he truly is!” Sonata inhaled and let loose a sweeping major-key aria in an unfamiliar language. The beautiful song brought tears of joy to Adagio’s eyes while the others listened silently to the brief, transcendent performance.

Aided by the force of her music, Sonata’s magical luminance pierced the veil between worlds and dispelled the inky black cloud concealing Leviathan’s features. The sky-blue light revealed a hideous black squid with ten desiccated, cracked tentacles. In the creature’s central body, two large purple eyes furtively looked from side to side in their emaciated sockets, and rotting flesh hung loosely from each long tentacle. Scores of ghostly mermares and merstallions, each of which glowed dimly, were shackled to the monster’s central body by black cords of darkness resembling chains. Each chain ended in an ornate jeweled collar fastened tightly around each aquatic creature’s throat. One lonely cord trailed off into the watery distance. Nearly crushed between Leviathan’s horrific head and his topmost right tentacle, a terrified mermare with silver scales, crimson fins and golden eyes screamed in pain. As the spasm of agony subsided, the mermare gazed upon Adagio with mingled recognition and hope.

“Mother! Your crown is a collar!” shouted Adagio. Aria and Sonata grabbed her to keep her from fainting, and also to prevent her from running through the barrier. Adagio briefly struggled against Aria’s strong grip and then buried her face in her hands, sobbing woefully.

Sonata lifted Adagio’s tear-streaked face with her fingers. “Do you see him for who he is now? He’s starving, Adagio. He needed sacrifices to feed his powers, and he’s been living off their souls and the souls of the Queens who shackled themselves to him through murder. He would have done it to you, and he would have done it to me, if we had let him.” She dropped her hands and held Adagio by her shoulders once again. Conviction and relief animated her voice as Sonata gazed deep into Adagio’s eyes. “Thank goodness that the amulet Sunset forged showed me that awful vision before it was too late! When I put together the truth from my vision and the facts in the Aquastrian book, I couldn’t let you, or any other mermare, suffer the same fate. Aria's mother somehow saw the truth and switched sides at the last moment, sacrificing herself to prevent the death of hundreds. My brother killed your mother and destroyed the temple to free the slaves and give Aquastria a new beginning! The Betrayer wants to dominate, control and channel all life under the sea, but he can't do it without the Imperial slave society. We almost let it start all over again!”

“And now, you must choose.” Sunset came forward, and stood with arms akimbo between Adagio and Leviathan. Authoritative and alluring, despite the dirt encrusting her face, she brushed a lock of flamelike hair from her cheek as she explained. “Sonata and Aria have made their own difficult journeys, and are changed forever. You must decide how best to serve your people. Either return to that thing’s hideous embrace, or come away with us to start your own road to redemption. I see no other paths.”

Adagio dropped to her knees in front of Sunset, clasping her hands in front of her. “Thank you for sparing my life to give me this choice. I know that I would not have done the same, and that truth torments me.” Her pleading magenta eyes searched Aria and Sonata’s faces for an answer. “How do I make it right? What I’ve done is unforgivable! I’ve failed you. I've failed my people, and I've let them be decieved. I decieved them! Nata, your father and brother were right. How could I not see it?”

Sonata put an arm around Aria, and together they helped Adagio to her feet and encircled the former princess in a triangular embrace. “Sunset, I have an idea. There may be another way, but we need to be sure. Could you please give us a moment?” Adagio whispered something into Sonata’s ear, and Sonata gestured towards the cage with her chin. “The keys to the cage are in Adagio’s vest pocket. Could you please free Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo?”

"I'm on it," Sunset replied. She jogged over to where Adagio had discarded her outer garment, dug out a keychain fashioned from an old set of military identification discs and tossed them to Rarity. The fashionista opened the cage, crawled inside and started untying the knots binding Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. Both younger girls tearfully expressed their gratitude.

Slowly turning back towards the Sirens' huddle, Sunset marveled in the enormity of the situation taking place. Leviathan, his gluttonous evil exposed and vile visage unveiled, had stopped hurling himself against the barrier. His sickly violet eyes glanced into the infinity behind him, and he quaked with the same abject terror he had inflicted on the others. An ominous green star appeared in the watery expanse behind him and a small tremor rippled through the cavern. Discord, once again clad in his outlandish mix of stripes, plaid and paisley, danced an impromptu jig with an effervescent Pinkie. Her curls had completely recovered, and she squealed with delight as she took in every detail of Sonata's transformation and the beauty of the glimmering cave. Fluttershy blushed and shyly brushed a lock of long, pink hair out of her face as Discord took her hand in an effort to assist her to her feet.

“Sunset, we have come to a decision,” said Sonata gravely, as Adagio and Aria gazed upon her admiringly. “We don't have much time, though. Discord, I think you're the best suited to explain what happened to us. I'm still fighting Leviathan even now, and my explanation would be, um, too lyrical or too flowery.” She turned back towards the barrier and sang a brief, wordless tune that reinforced her influence beyond the veil.

Rarity backed out of the cage and grinned at Sonata while admiring her appearance. “Darling, you were ready for the Canterlot runway a few days ago. Now, your beauty defies any appropriate superlative!”

“Forget what she looks like, did you see her throw that pitchfork and then put that nasty squid in his place? It was beyond awesome. It was legendary!” Rainbow Dash interrupted her effusive praise and sheepishly bit her lip when she realized that she had been tightly gripping one of Adagio's bedsheet murals.

Discord held up both his hands and requested silence. He looked over the top of his wire-rimmed spectacles to address the group. “You did save us all, Sonata, so brevity is what you'll receive.” He gestured to her with a sweeping wave of his right arm. “She is no longer a Siren. While Sonata and her twin brother always did possess unique potential and hidden abilities, the singular combination of Leviathan's dark gifts, Aria sacrificing her innate magic, Adagio's shards, Sunset's Element of Harmony and her own bravery has made her anew. Sonata Dusk is now a Muse, which is a long-extinct type of being that is a positive force of inspiration and courage.” He added a sardonic grin. “Such artistic flair is related to my chaotic magic, but is distinctly different from my brand of arcana.”

Tossing her ponytail with self-conscious embarrassment, Sonata's breezy affability briefly replaced the new Muse's powerful stage presence. “I feel the new magic, Discord, but this isn't about me. Aria gave me a great gift, and I'm sad that she felt like she needed to do that.”

“I did too need to do that, because the Betrayer was about to crush you with his counterattack and steal Applejack! I have no regrets, and I can easily explain. I gave up my remaining magic in all its forms and gave it to Sonata. I am now a young human woman, and I will age and die as I should have centuries ago.” She arched a purple eyebrow at Pinkie and smiled. “I'm back on the clock, and I will make my remaining time count. I know that I already have.”

Applejack pursed her lips and glared at Adagio. “What about her? Father Scorpan would tell me that revenge is immoral, but I'm not inclined to turn the other cheek right now.”

“Big sis, don't be too hard on her. Did Granny punish you for tearing up all those apple saplings after you took the tractor to do some work without permission a couple of years ago? You thought you were doing the right thing, when instead it was all wrong!” Apple Bloom returned her sister's hat. “She did a lot of bad things, but we need to see how she wants to make it right.”

Adagio removed her tiara and handed it to Apple Bloom. “Well said, little one, and thank you for your understanding. Accept this gift as an apology, and as a remembrance of your leadership and courage, but please have it magically cleansed before you wear it. I will make amends in a different way, and I will rid Aquastria of Leviathan forever.” She looked at Sonata, and smiled deferentially. “Are you ready, Your Radiance?”

“I appreciate the gesture, but I need no title,” said Sonata, wagging her index finger at Adagio in a gentle rebuke. Adagio sheepishly smiled, and then handed Sonata the knife she had stolen from Sunset’s apartment. Sonata pocketed the weapon, turned to Sunset and continued. “What we are about to do is odd but necessary. We need to properly say farewell, and we will use our song to begin Adagio's atonement. Please stand back, but prepare our friends to tap into their magic.”

Adagio curtsied respectfully to Sunset, and a mischievous glint entered her eyes. “If my plan succeeds, we may yet encounter one another again in very different roles. Please recover the belongings I took from your apartment from my pack. Sunset, I thank you for your service to Aquastria and for redeeming three wretched, defeated Sirens. Together, we have devised a plan that will satisfy my sense of duty and keep Aquastria and all its citizens safe from the Great Betrayer forever.”

“Come, Adagio. Your destiny and Leviathan won't wait any longer.” Sonata beckoned and nervously glanced over her shoulder at the hideous squid, the tormented souls and the ominous green star lighting the astral infinity.

Discord rang a large brass gong with a plastic replica of Chainbreaker. He wore a red military-style baseball cap with golden oak leaves and acorns on the brim with the words “Damage Control Officer” emblazoned its face. He cried, "Don't kill Leviathan, especially with him approaching! There's a very real chance we'd have to fight the banshee all over again if we do!"

Sunset cocked her head in confusion, while Sonata and Adagio gravely nodded at the Spirit of Chaos. The trio faced Leviathan, with Sonata leading them. Her butterfly wings spread out behind her and the crystal in her chest illuminated the gateway. Aria stood to Sonata's right and Adagio to her left. The Muse sang a single note to harmonize the trio, and they began a sweet, yet sad song, dancing and swaying in three-quarter time. Sonata's bright soprano led their melody:

So one final time, sing we Sirens as three
After one thousand years, separate souls we must be
A princess, a peasant and a loyal guard
Forced to serve evil, our souls they are marred

You emerged from the darkness to show us the way
Long trapped within midnight, you dawned our new day
A leader, a hero, a friend, you're all three
Element Bearer, we're grateful to thee.

After the first verse, yellow-tinted mermare ears appeared on top of Adagio’s head and delicate lavender fins spread out like wings behind her back. Her thick orange curls spilled even further down her back, covering her hips. After the second verse concluded, she stepped forward and sang in her commanding mezzo-soprano while Aria and Sonata harmonized in the background:

An Aquastrian monarch, I never will be
But a much greater duty is intended for me
I'll atone for my crimes, give heroes my aid
Steadfastly stand guard until foul darkness fades.

Adagio returned to her place next to Sonata, while the trio hummed a transition. Singing for the first time without the benefit of magic, Aria smoothed her torn, clinging bodysuit. As she stepped ahead to take the lead, she flipped her long pigtails, and raised her rich alto voice to take over the melody:

Songs of grand battles are all that I knew
Now standing victorious, faithful and true
Freely I've chosen a brief mortal life
Every day's brighter through my sacrifice.

Looking past Sonata, Aria winked at Adagio, and the pair resumed their wordless background harmony. Her faerie wings flapping lazily, Sonata lifted herself into the air in the center of the trio. Running her ponytail through her fingers, she started her verse a full octave above Aria, with her soprano creating a soaring melody:

I couldn’t see all this love and its might
No need to despair, its light shines so bright
Mistakes I have made, so much to make right
My songs will unite and no longer bring strife.

Concluding her solo, the Muse slowly glided to the ground and placed each of her hands on the small of Adagio and Aria’s backs. The trio harmonized their voices in a finale that perfectly blended triumph and farewell:

So one final time, sing we Sirens as three
After one thousand years, separate souls we must be
We'll share our new stories, and hope we transcend
Forever closer than sisters, lovers or friends.

Sonata, Adagio and Aria held the last note, until their lungs demanded they slowly release it. The former Sirens embraced one another, forming a small circle while Leviathan raged futilely in the background. Unconsciously, Sunset clasped her hands in front of her chest, taking in the singular beauty of the Sirens’ final song.

Adagio, tears streaming down her face, wiped her eyes and squeezed Sonata and Aria's hands. "My duty is clear. For the first time in my life, it's as transparent as tropical water."

Tears rolled down Aria's normally stern face. She kissed Adagio on the cheek and handed her Chainbreaker. The magical mace shone brightly in Adagio's hands, and the weapon's warning tone trilled musically with the same beat as the song the trio had just concluded.

"What the hell are you doing, Aria?" Rainbow Dash sprinted towards the gateway, but suddenly stopped short when a gentle hand brushed against her shoulder.

Fluttershy shook her head at her brash friend. Tears welling in her eyes, she softly advised Rainbow Dash. "Chainbreaker never truly belonged to us. Let the three of them finish this their way."

Sonata tightly embraced Adagio, whispered into her ear, and kissed her on the opposite cheek. Weeping shamelessly, the Muse added a last benediction. "When our journeys are done, together we will paint a mural of our memories that spreads across the sky! Go, Adagio. At last, speak the words that have always been on the tip of your tongue!"

Adagio nodded and turned towards Leviathan. In the light emanating from the Muse, the former princess brandished Chainbreaker and regally intoned, "N'astir'h Akbar Beh'lian Soulbinder! I confine you to an unbreakable Astral Prison until such time as you starve into oblivion!"

Upon hearing his True Name, Leviathan froze in mid-flail, powerless to resist Adagio. A metallic black box artfully chased with a silvery metal appeared with its lid open, in front of the horrific being. He Who Swims in Darkness shouted in futile defiance as his dark presence began streaming into the unique prison.

Striding boldly through the watery veil between worlds, Adagio attacked the dark cords spreading from Leviathan even as her physical form rippled. Sometimes Chainbreaker, held in human hands, flashed in a circle, and without rhyme or reason, the magical mace was suddenly clutched in a pair of fins. Adagio alternated from mermare to human, and occasionally parted the dark chains as a hybrid of the two, possessing a fishlike tail paired with a human upper half. Her pony ears on display and her magically-lengthened hair fluttering behind her, she rhythmically twirled the mace and parted each of the bonds that provided Leviathan with nourishment and magical power. As the mermares separated from the Great Betrayer, they nodded or bowed respectfully to Adagio before dissipating to face their individual judgments.

For the first time in centuries, Adagio lifted her enthralling mezzo-soprano in an uplifting song of victory. Fragments of the dark chains imprisoning the Aquastrian queens entered Chainbreaker's radiant aura, and their black metal transmuted into a crystalline white substance that resembled cooled star iron. The broken links orbited Adagio's ever-changing features while she used the magical mace to free her ancestors. The metallic pieces fused into a scintillating crown, where a tiny kite shield nestled within the shattered bonds to form a device that signified the duties that she had eagerly accepted.

Leviathan howled impotently, powerless against the use of his True Name, and deprived of his magical sustenance. Adagio, adding a powerful flip of her mermare form's tail, shattered the last lingering chain and examined her handiwork, while the Great Betrayer's form dissolved and continued to fill the trans-dimensional cage. She looked worriedly at the emerald brilliance in the darkness as a pair of crimson fins suddenly enveloped her in an awkward hug.

“My daughter, you've done it! You've freed us!” For the first time since Adagio was a foal, mother embraced daughter. “Words cannot express how you have lifted my spirit! This is a victory worth a millennium of pain, and to see you wearing a crown you have earned fills me with pride that I never imagined possible.”

Adagio couldn't remember ever seeing her mother smile without malice or machinations. Words initially failing her, she pressed her muzzle against Blinding Dazzle's cheek. Her magenta eyes looked deep into her mother's ghostly golden gaze. “Thank you, Mother! Your theft of the True Name made the final blow possible, so there is no need to suffer alone. Stand guard with me through the decades and centuries to come, as I have so much to tell you!”

“I remember Sonata Dusk and Aria Blaze well, and I wish I could ease the burden of your duty.” The former Queen's gaze flicked to the approaching green malevolence with sadness and regret. “But, this responsibility is yours alone, Guardian. I must not be here when the Death Lord arrives. I am beyond forgiveness and I must face judgment for what I have done. He will chain my soul once more, if I am present when he arrives.”

Adagio’s body rippled and she became human once more. She gestured with her free hand and beseeched her mother. “I have Chainbreaker! We can fight—”

“No, Adagio. The two-legged air breathers must use their Equestrian magic to seal the rift and escape.” Blinding Dazzle interrupted her daughter, smiling sadly. “Do not let Vecna steal your triumph from you. Daughter, in this moment, you have given me the one thing I never had, even when I sat upon the throne in Nautilus Hall: Hope. One day, I hope to find my way back to you.”

Adagio stroked her mother's silver-scaled cheek with her hand as a pair of tears spilled forth. “Mother, we have an eternity.”

Transforming into a luminescent vapor, Blinding Dazzle 's spirit surrendered itself to face judgment. The dimly glowing being circled Adagio once, and vanished. Before she could weep, the cavern and the alternate dimension connected to it rumbled ominously. The sickly green glow started to push against Sonata's sky blue radiance.

At Adagio's feet, Leviathan's divine essence had been locked into a black metallic box secured with two crisscrossed white star iron chains fastened by an impossibly complicated arcane lock. Two straps, perfectly sized for Adagio's back or barrel, trailed from the container.

“Whale spit!” cursed Adagio. “That magic feels like Raven, but much stronger. That necromantic energy must be Vecna. I have to protect Aquastria from him!” Her eyes widened in fear and she grunted as she shouldered her heavy burden and raised Chainbreaker to a defensive position.

Adagio's terrified voice broke the trance that held all those in the cavern spellbound. Sunset beckoned with both hands, and Pinkie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Rarity ran to her and the six girls joined hands. As they did, all six sprouted fuzzy pony ears, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash's feathery wings winked into existence and their hair magically doubled in length.

Rarity looked back and forth between Sunset and Applejack, and grinned broadly. Squeezing both their hands, she squealed, “Darling, I'm so happy that I don't even need to sing to reach my part of the Power of Harmony!”

Throwing enormous bulbs of garlic through the gate, Discord displayed a large wall clock that dangled around his neck on an obnoxiously large gold chain. “Hurry up! I do not want to have an intimate chat with Mister One -Eye-One-Hand.”

“It's time, Sunset,” Sonata turned her head and nodded. “When I changed, a giant crystal tree told me to tell you to ‘believe in your friends to close what was forced open.’ I hope you know what that means!” The Muse shrugged her shoulders, and her eyes glittered playfully despite the approaching danger.

A male voice, quavering with emotion plaintively cried, “Wait one moment! Please!” A gray merstallion spirit with sad lilac eyes brushed past Adagio and pressed against the gate.

“Daddy, we won!” Sonata abandoned her song and sprinted for the veil. She sniffed loudly and her voice wavered, sounding like a little girl instead of a victorious, thousand-year-old being. “Coral Aegis and I rescued you, but it took way too long. I wish we could have won sooner, so we all could have been together again. I've missed you so much, and I’m so happy that my new friends forced me to remember how much you and Mama and Coral Aegis loved me.” Fresh tears ran down the Muse's face as she glanced back towards the group of young women holding hands.

A distant whisper echoed ominously. “I sense Leviathan's dark divinity. It is vulnerable and starving. Give it to me, or suffer wrath and torment that will last an eternity.

Sonata’s father swam as close as he could to the gateway, and he smiled joyfully at his transformed daughter despite the approaching danger. “I was enslaved by the Queen's magic, but I'm now free thanks to you and your friends. There is no time, but at least I got to see you one last time. I am so proud of you and your brother. One cast off the Imperial chains and the other destroyed them forever. But, I must go to eternity at last, Sonata. So many centuries of agony were worth this moment to see you wrapped in glory! I love you very much.” Dusky Defense's glowing form lost its stability and his features started to dissipate.

Sonata sniffed back more tears. “I love you too, Daddy. Tell Mama and Coral Aegis that I miss them and love them.”

“They heard everything, Sonata. They are right here to greet me,” he gestured to the invisible expanse with his fin, “Be good and be brave...” Dusky Defense evaporated into a glowing vapor that promptly disappeared.

An alarm clock made from a frowning plastic skull rang loudly, intentionally disrupting the emotionally-charged silence. Discord snapped his fingers and the clock transformed into a conductor’s baton, and he suddenly wore an outrageous orange tuxedo with a ruffled shirt with a plaid marching band hat that towered two feet above his head. “Time’s up!”

“Is that really necessary?” Rarity asked, her voice dripping with annoyance as she wiped a tear away from the corner of her eye. “You’re spoiling the beauty of this moment with your tacky props and that horrifically garish outfit!”

Applejack frowned at the watery gateway and the skeletal figure that had started to coalesce in the green light that now dominated the veil between worlds. “Glad to hear you’re back to normal, sugar cube. Rarity, that critter’s already ruined your precious moment, so let’s do what we need to do and get out of here!” She donned her trademark hat after accepting it from Apple Bloom’s outstretched hands.

The horrifying figure continued to take shape into a robe-clad skeleton with only one hand. Vecna’s one-eyed gaze illuminated the box on Adagio’s back. “Give me your burden, Guardian. You didn’t slay my devoted servant. There is no need for you to become my enemy.” His soft voice whispered like a breeze through dead leaves.

“Discord, do what you can to help!” Sunset, her flamelike hair blowing in the unnatural breeze, hastily issued orders. She looked at Adagio, who held Chainbreaker in front of her like a shield. Sunset gazed into the magenta eyes beneath the crown made of broken chains. “And you need to figure something out and get the hell out of there!”

Examining the dozen-strong group, who all nodded and smiled with confidence in her command of the crisis at hand, Sunset used the magical force of the Element of Redemption to reach deep inside herself. She tapped into a flowing river of unimaginable arcane power that rippled outwards from her body. They rearranged themselves into a single long line, all holding one another’s hands. From left to right, Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, Aria, Sonata, Sunset, Rarity, Applejack, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Fluttershy and Discord stood defiantly and faced the gateway that evil magic had torn between worlds.

Vecna tore his one-eyed gaze from Adagio, and stroked his skeletal chin admiringly. He chuckled, and his soft voice ominously addressed Sunset. “I am too late to stop you from your triumph, but time has no meaning to the Lord of Death. You have attracted my interest, hornless unicorn, which even the jester who calls himself the Spirit of Chaos knows to be a dangerous prospect. Whether your mortal end comes in minutes or centuries, know that I will do all I can to claim you as my thrall.

His crimson eyes glowing angrily, Discord shrugged his shoulders and pointed at Vecna with his free hand. “Doubtful. You know what would be fun right now? Undoing all of the awful things Shrieking Raven did here!”

Taking advantage of Vecna’s shift in focus, Adagio jabbed Chainbreaker’s head downward, creating a bright trapdoor, through which she escaped with Leviathan’s starving divinity. She poked her head out of the square of light, winked playfully at the others, and then closed the insubstantial door behind her, passing out of view.

“I don’t know what my future holds, but I’m certain you will not control it.” Sunset announced to the dark being. Suddenly, her body and spirit filled with the Power of Harmony. The Element of Redemption blazed with prismatic light, and Sunset, Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy rose into the air, carrying the others along with them. Sonata’s lilac butterfly wings flapped lazily, helping to keep everyone aloft, and the circular blue gem embedded in her chest emitted radiance that halted Vecna’s advance.

So be it. You, of all these mortals, understand the power of irrevocable decisions. Unleash your celestial fire and know that if we meet again, it will not be on amicable terms,” rasped Vecna, folding his arms and slowly retreating.

Sunset Shimmer’s green-blue irises disappeared, replaced by a glowing white light that projected forth from her eyes. Her words, inspired by Sonata’s glow and originating from the center of her being, echoed throughout the glittering cavern and through the gateway. “I began in the light, favored by the Sun, but chose to fall to darkness. I didn’t believe in the magic of friendship until it was forced upon me, but the moment I saw it and let it enter my heart, I decided to change myself forever. Together, we helped Aria, then Sonata and finally Adagio learn that they can choose to turn their faces towards the Sun once more. We are all stronger for walking through the darkness to reach the light! You will never conquer us as we stand together!”

Six bands of color originating from Sunset, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, Applejack and Rarity rose towards the chamber’s ceiling, and wove themselves into a helical-shaped rainbow. Saturated with beneficial magic, their wounds healed before their eyes. A separate ribbon of arcane energy sprang forth from Discord. The chaotic magic splashed in and out of the multicolored spiral as it danced through an array of wild colors and insane patterns. The rainbow reached its zenith and rocketed through the gateway. It knocked down the vertical wall of water, and caused the terrifying skeletal figure to disappear from view. The six bands of color traced across the back of the cavern like a welding rod drawing a bead, causing steam to rise towards the stalactites as the Power of Harmony sealed the otherworldly veil. Simultaneously, Discord’s magic exploded outward in a cacophonic wave of raw eldritch power that immediately passed out of sight.

The bliss that permeated their beings gradually faded, and the group slowly settled to the ground. The powerful arcane energy illuminating the cavern dissipated nearly as suddenly as it had appeared, and the crystalline echoes that resounded throughout the cavern faded into a deafening silence, the now-unremarkable pool of stagnant water left without a trace of any dark being. As they stared into the empty cavern, a wave of relief washed over the group of friends like an overflowing river of emotion as the bittersweet revelation immersed itself in their collective hearts:

It was over.

Author's Note:

Sonata’s additional verses to “Lavender’s Blue” are original compositions. Likewise, the Sirens’ parting song is also an original creation.

Ladies and gentlemen, fillies and gentlecolts, I truly hope that you have enjoyed this chapter of Sunset Shimmer: Element Bearer. Thanks to SerenaAveline's outstanding advice, sage suggestions and editing expertise, I am confident that this was an update worth the additional wait!

The next update will likely conclude the story, and will bring a wonderful ten-month creative journey to a close. I humbly ask for your patience, because this last chapter may also take a bit more than two weeks to properly finish. I hope that you find the time to offer your feedback and thoughts on this climactic chapter, and thank you very much for being part of this adventure from beginning to end!

Comments ( 53 )

It's... It's gonna be over? Well, I've enjoyed the ride.

You were working on this for ten months!?

:pinkiegasp: *brain short-circuits*

Wow... I'm gonna go over here and catch my breath, yeah? :pinkiesad2: I hate to see it end... But... Damn... One helluva ride, CO... :raritywink:

Oh, this was a satisfying end to a suspenseful wait. Well done, good sir, and looking forward to the final installment in one of the most epic 'fics I've read on this site!

If only I could craft something this impressive. Ah well. Not all of us can channel Tolkein this effectively, now can we?

Why is Vecma so sure he has a claim on Sunset's soul? He is the Lord of Undeath, not Death, and there is no bound or barganing between the Dark Deity and the human pony.

..............I have no words. ........ other than THIS CHAPTER WAS F@$&ING AWESOME. First off, finally Adagio has see the and and her name is Sonata also i know the whole AriaxPinkie didn't need to be emphasizeemphasized but that was beautiful. Sonata i can't even describe how much she made this chapter for me. And finally the Humane 6 I'm going the make the obvious joke now "TASTE THE RAINBOW MOTHERBUCKERS!!". Fantastic job Conning this was you best Chapter yet and let me guess you say it's over but it's not right?

Worthy of joining a growing list of epic fan fiction masterpieces.

You deserve much praise, right along with those that aided in editing and such.

Taking advantage of Vecna’s shift in focus, Adagio jabbed Chainbreaker’s head downward, creating a bright trapdoor, through which she escaped with Leviathan’s starving divinity. She poked her head out of the square of light, winked playfully at the others, and then closed the insubstantial door behind her, passing out of view.

Where'd she go? :rainbowhuh: In the cage with Leviathan? :rainbowhuh:

Awesome chapter! Sad that it's all finally coming to a close though.

(Only one more bit of commentary to go, but I hope this one is worth the effort.)

Ludere: *Lets out a sigh of relief as he walked back into the cave with a few new figures behind him* Nice to see that the group has finally won and the delusions in Adagio's mind have been cleared like mist, but what do you think Quick?

Quick: Personally, I don't see why that banshee didn't sneak into their homes and slit their throats in their sleep if she knew the power they wielded. It's what I would have done, and to you too for messing with the plans back then you ass.

Ludere: Now now Quick, we didn't give you a second chance because we liked you. We gave it to you because we had better things to do then rot in prison for murder in the first degree.

Gregory: Indeed, just like how I turned him into an adorable filly with a torture curse for the duration of her parole electrocuting her every time she does something evil.

Quick: *Glares at him* You know I hate you for that Gregory.

Ludere: *Looks to Quick with a smirk.* Enough, let's get this back on track before somepony winds being electrocuted or spanked again. Now then it seems like a certain somefish has become reality's calamari dish to go, and it is glorious to see an alternate version of that bastard put down even if it wasn't the same way my Aquastria did it. *The other two wince at that and nod in agreement.*

Quick: Anyway, I must say it was quite fun to see the Dazzlings demolish their own master and free their loved ones, kinda like how your parents wanted to free you, but never could. *Smirks as Ludere's eyes turn green with the mother of all death glares.*

Ludere: Don't forget I'm your parole officer so I've got full liberty to do THIS. *Grabs Quick and hangs the nine year old upside down in his grip as she starts thrashing.*

Quick: Hey! Put me down you ignoramus! *Ludere pretends to think as he nonchalantly starts spanking her.*

Ludere: Hm, lets see you attempted a coup to possess Luna and undermine the diarchy from within, used highly illegal dark magic, manipulated everypony you could into helping you, and shot my giant serpent of a pet with four simultaneous bolts of lightning on top of several counts of assault on the Lunar Guard. I fail to see how you don't deserve this, mainly because I wish I could have killed you back then. Alas, the Lunar Guard does not permit murder of criminals if they can be disabled and that stone body of yours was de-winged. *Looks down to Quick as he's still slapping her clothed ass and shrugged as he dropped her on her head falling onto her back.*

Quick: SON OF A BITCH! *Gets up and glares at Ludere.* Why did you do that?!

Gregory: Well you are a jackass and neither of us quite frankly give a flying shit about you so that could be two reasons, but slavery is just a personal matter with your ancestors and descendants for the resident half-golem half-griffon turned human. Still weren't we talking about a fanfiction chapter atop the fourth wall? I mean that's why he brought us out for the villain's demise chapter. *All three look to each other and chuckle sheepishly.*

Ludere: Now that we're back on track the resident fork fighter has found her weapon to clash with some poor sap's rusty hand-me-down kitchenware to open this up, and in hindsight we probably got ahead of ourselves.

Quick: *Laughs* I'd think that as well, but to be Applejack I'm happy to see the Elements Of Harmony used to destroy an idiotic ten tentacled squid.

Gregory: Wouldn't it be closer to an octopus?

Quick: I didn't think that a cat could be related to something like a squid, but *shrugs* I haven't looked in a Marine Biology book in a long time or ever for that matter. *Gregory gives him a look." What?

Gregory: *Raises a talon about to answer, then reconsiders it.* It's nothing. Now then, I must say that it was really sweet for the author to let Adagio and Sonata meet the people most important to them again, but it makes sense given they were freed from Douchebag's hold on them. It was Douchebag that you named him right Ludere?

Ludere: Yep, along with bitch, irritable virgin, moron, and various other words that are synonymous with his personality.

Gregory: Where did you learn such language?

Ludere: Eh, Ah tend to pick these things up, and Ah'm talkin like a farmer again ain't Ah?

Quick: *Chuckles* That's what you get for hanging out with three Earth Pony fillies on their farm so often farm gal. How did you escape the book's curse anyway?

Ludere: I restrained it using the few leftover Nullstone Chains from Aquastria after shooting it with lightning several times and setting it on fire. *Looks to the same sealed book flopping toward him and kicks it away.* Apparently, Dark Magic doesn't like its vessel being torched like firewood or restrained for that matter.

Gregory: How are we going to get back anyway? Seltsam's the colt with the Portal talent. *The other two look to each other and shrugged in response.*

Ludere and Quick: We don't really know.

Gregory: *Facepalm*

Not to play devil's advocate... but I would have liked to see what would have happened had the CMC become sirens. This has been Contrary Belief with Wilford Warfstache.
orig00.deviantart.net/7cd8/f/2013/364/1/3/wilfred_warfstashe_by_jeffkyler14-d703j54.jpg

All good things come to an end...
I suppose...
Not that I want it to end at all!

"First, we shall read."
"And what happens after?"
"After? We shall wait."
"And then?"
"And then? We shall see."

I wonder if after this, the Sirens will be allowed to travel back to Aquastria, so Adaggio can see with her own eyes how her "subjects " are faring on their own.

came home from work to fined new chapter read said chapter now has the warm fuzziness.

Hulk says:Puny God.

Well, that guy took a fair bit of hammering, and misdirection, but eventually went down.

Then ole boney shows up and tries to trash the party, but heads off with the immortality wait excuse.

Did Discord tap into the powerflow and use it to rebuild the museum and battleground, a minor extention to the sealing of the dimentional, reality rift?

Where will sonata go now, Aria at School, Adagio will be playing the Mole?

Next time, it finally ends?

I have no words for this chapter.

6224768 I know exactly how you feel.

this is epic!your story is the very finest i have read.it is absolutely stunning! it is a pure pleasure to experience and enjoy your stunning writing and the finest editing.your masterful gift of writing brought incredible soul , life and emotions to the girls! once again i humbly thank you for this stunning and very finest of stories!

I'll be honest, I've felt that this story always had pacing and dialogue issues, and it still does, though in fairness the writing has improved allot since the beginning. I thought this chapter was a bit slow and talky for the climax of a big adventure story, and I found that for a pair of dark gods leviathan and vecna were both rather anticlimactic in their defeats, and I got a real feeling towards the end that there was struggle to find things for some of the good guys to do in allot of these scenes, partially since the redeemed sirens, discord, and sunset were just so much stronger than everyone else, and partially just because there are so many heroes it's hard to give them all roles. This I think leads to a related issue that there were parts where it felt like everyone was forced to stop doing stuff and stand around while a particular character took the lead (like this chapter, where discord and sunset just stand by for most of it waiting for the sirens to do most of the actual defeating leviathan, which just felt kinda awkward). And there's other things I could nitpick.

But in spite of all that I really like this story and am really glad to have read it. I like your mythology, I loved the characters of the sirens I think you did a great job making them complex, compelling, sympathetic and yet sufficiently flawed that I can see why they feel into darkness to begin with, I liked the characterization in general, and well I just really enjoyed this story. So I suppose that for all my nitpicking ultimately congratulations are in order, because this story was a thing of beauty.

I read this whole thing in about a day....so worth it! Now waiting for the end just like everyone else!

*does pirate jig* alas! the story has reached it's close (not quite, but there's just an epilogue left) and I for one certainly enjoyed the ride it brought

3 things:

1.

“Mother! Your crown is a collar!” shouted Adagio.

Favorite quote :rainbowlaugh:

2. The entire time, I just imaged Levethian as a minecraft squid. :rainbowlaugh:

3. If you search Aria's and Sonata's singing actresses, Aria is actually the soprano and Sonata is the alto. :derpyderp2:

Nuuuu, why is it over?! :raritydespair:

I…I…I don’t have the words. So I’ll start with yours.

Just as the atmosphere started to become oppressive, a gurgling chuckle resounded in everyone's ears as Leviathan’s bemused voice boomed throughout the cavern.

I should think this would make it more oppressive.

“ 'Waiting for me?' So ‘Great Betrayer’, exactly why is it that you have been waiting for me? Is it because Adagio is on the verge of seeing you for the deceiver you truly are? Is it because Aria now fights against you or because your words have no influence on the others? Or maybe it's because there is nothing you can do without us! It’s time to put an end to your lies and show us what you truly are and whom you hold captive!” Her voice rose and fell with the musical dynamics of a heroic theme as she took command of the stage and scene.

Always a good time for a ‘reason you suck’ speech!

If you wish to be Queen, stop your interminable delays! We should be conquering Aquastria by now!” The inky blob of darkness pressed itself close to the barrier, and the deep voice thundered with impatience. “Slay the sacrifice and roll her to me, or I may crown another and vent my divine displeasure upon you!

Well the line for coronation starts with Adagio and…stops. I guess. :twilightsheepish:

You have a powerful sense of obligation to mermares and to Aquastria, but that nobility within you has been twisted to his will.

I suppose that really is the crux of the problem isn’t it?

Did it mention how the lesser races consumed so much food that they weakened Aquastria?

Wat? :rainbowhuh:

Remember that the victors get the opportunity to write history

True enough but that doesn’t mean its wrong. Plus, you’ve been asleep for most of the past millennium so your knowledge of past events is limited.

Don’t just tell us what you know, tell us what you believe!

I DO believe in fairies! I DO!! I DO!! :trollestia:

the bonds the Trident had placed around her body prior to the weapon’s unlikely destruction.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Back that hay wagon up. What do you mean it was destroyed?! Does Sonata have super throwing strength?!

but I did want you to be my friend.

Stahp with the feelz.

Why would Leviathan order Queen Blinding Dazzle to take me away from Coral Symphony?

Who?

“Mother had the priestesses seize every set of twins because of the prophecy, but you and your brother were initially overlooked…” she trailed off.

But, the story of the One Who Guides the Waves gave the seaponies and merstallions hope as it was passed from one to another in furtive whispers.

I’m feeling like I’m missing something here.:rainbowderp::twilightblush:

his attempts at guile at an end

Hallelujah! Seriously, this guy is so transparent I can see around the curve of the universe through him.

Adagio, stunned by the sudden brilliance, fell awkwardly and landed on her rear end.

And like SilverQuill, I am fickle. *watches on repeat, repeatedly* :moustache:

Adagio, at the focal point of the sonic battle, covered her ears and screamed in pain.

“So many voices ringing in my ear. Which is the voice that I was meant to hear?”:eeyup:

she reached to the core of her being and ripped all remaining magic from deep within her and hurled it away.

Okay, I like it but the tactician in me worries about unintended consequences.

Noooo!” screamed Leviathan.

Ah. Another check for PEANUT3423’s Unoriginal Villain Checklist.

The suckers on the dark limb’s fingertips reached hungrily for Applejack

Sooo, you didn’t need Adagio to do the dirty deed? You suck Leviathan!

Drops of midnight blood fell to the cavern floor

Wait!! Leviathan is a kishin?!?!:pinkiegasp: That explains so much.:twilightsmile:

She shielded her eyes and beheld the graceful figure

Ahh! Paradox!

the Spirit of Chaos walked over to Sunset Shimmer and handed her a pair of enormous pink balloons. “Why, it’s a girl, of course! Two girls: One human and one, well, I’ll let Sonata explain later. Congratulations!”

For some reason, my forehead and palm are feeling a lot of pain right now.

She drew her leg back, intending to drive the point of her boot into Adagio’s ribs.

Whoa girl!

Leviathan, who futilely hurled himself against Sonata’s invading sphere of light.

*Thump* What? *Thump, thump* I can’t hear you through the glass.:trollestia:

One lonely cord trailed off into the watery distance.

Mmm, this seems important.

Adagio briefly struggled against Aria’s strong grip and then buried her face in her hands, sobbing woefully.

This!! This is one of those great moments that make me empathize with Adagio. She reacts so believably here that I almost cried myself.

Authoritative and alluring, despite the dirt encrusting her face, she brushed a lock of flamelike hair from her cheek as she explained.

Oh yeah. This chapter made me forget that the title is Sunset Shimmer, not Sonata Dusk.:twilightoops:

I see no other paths.

Sunset, remember that little talk about choosing our words carefully? I’m not disagreeing with you but words like that usually inspire a ‘taking the third option’ scenario.

I know that I would not have done the same, and that truth torments me.

Again. Well done with character writing.

The fashionista opened the cage, crawled inside and started untying the knots binding Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. Both younger girls tearfully expressed their gratitude.

Yeah, who else just let out a big breath of relief?

An ominous green star appeared in the watery expanse behind him and a small tremor rippled through the cavern. Discord, once again clad in his outlandish mix of stripes, plaid and paisley, danced an impromptu jig with an effervescent Pinkie.

Mood whiplash much?

Rainbow Dash interrupted her effusive praise and sheepishly bit her lip when she realized that she had been tightly gripping one of Adagio's bedsheet murals.

Please tell me you have pictures of that, CO.:raritystarry:

Sonata Dusk is now a Muse

I don’t find it funny at all. *rimshot*

which is a long-extinct type of being that is a positive force of inspiration and courage.

Considering what you just said made her a muse, it doesn’t sound like they’re easy to come by, since Levi doesn’t make sirens very often.

You thought you were doing the right thing, when instead it was all wrong!” Apple Bloom returned her sister's hat. “She did a lot of bad things, but we need to see how she wants to make it right.

That’s legit right there.

He wore a red military-style baseball cap with golden oak leaves and acorns on the brim with the words “Damage Control Officer” emblazoned its face.

Not even in Pinkie’s dreams.

Don't kill Leviathan, especially with him approaching!

I dedicate this one to the Fiery Joker. Ahem…PowerPuff Girls crossover! *smirks evilly* :trollestia::moustache:

Fluttershy shook her head at her brash friend. Tears welling in her eyes, she softly advised Rainbow Dash. "Chainbreaker never truly belonged to us. Let the three of them finish this their way."

Hmmm? Interesting.

a tiny kite shield nestled within the shattered bonds to form a device that signified the duties that she had eagerly accepted.

Meaning what exactly?

Rarity looked back and forth between Sunset and Applejack, and grinned broadly. Squeezing both their hands, she squealed, “Darling, I'm so happy that I don't even need to sing to reach my part of the Power of Harmony!”

Okay I’ve been simply ignoring most of this for the past little while but now I must speak. This is the point where the ship teasing is neither cute nor humorous but is, in fact, rather annoying. Either make an Official Couple or just drop it entirely. It’s just not funny anymore.:twilightangry2:

he suddenly wore an outrageous orange tuxedo with a ruffled shirt with a plaid marching band hat that towered two feet above his head.

mlpforums.com/uploads/monthly_06_2014/post-11173-0-15128400-1402626957.jpg

“You’re spoiling the beauty of this moment with your tacky props and that horrifically garish outfit!”

Oh my, how terribly rude of us. Rarity, Discord. Discord, Rarity. I can’t believe we forgot to introduce you to each other.:trollestia:

if we meet again, it will not be on amicable terms,” rasped Vecna, folding his arms and slowly retreating.

Does anyone in their right mind meet this guy on amicable terms?:twilightoops: I mean, guess who’s comin’ to dinner?

You will never conquer us as we stand together!

That scent. *sniiiiiiiffffff* Ah, yes; the smell of foreshadowing.

You are truly a magnificent, wonderful, illegitimate child, you know that right? I feel so much better now that its over but it is indeed bittersweet, for questions linger on. What will happen to our favorite two trios? I sense different paths for each siren which, honestly, makes me sad:pinkiesad2:. And what of the crusader girls? I can’t imagine you come out of this situation and go right back to whatever-they-were-doing. Is Aria able to use the portal?

I have very much enjoyed this ride and hope it continues in some form after you’ve cooled your engines a bit; maybe some slice-of-life stuff.

P.S. I want Luna and Celestia to get some karma for the callous way they handled this situation.:twilightangry2:

6238914

The One Who Guides the Waters is Luna aka Princess of the Moon and its Gravitational Pulse, of course. You can figure out how much she and Levi disagrees about who should rule the tides.

This is one of the few stories I've come across which are plain AWESOME and I'm not saying that to be nice I really mean great job /)

On Hiatus. Errrrrr.... I don't like those two words!

Together, we helped Aria, then Sonata and finally Adagio learn that they can choose to turn their faces towards the Sun once more.

img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120908210040/mlp/images/c/c8/Luna_Sad_3_S2E4.png

Mission Complete

Greetings, everyone! I know I haven't been commenting on the past couple of chapters and what-not, but I feel like you guys should have some comeuppance after nary a response from CO, especially with the "on hiatus" tag appearing sans an explanation.

The situation is essentially this: something has come up in the real world, and ConningOfficer is no longer able to work on this story - or fanfiction in general. It's very personal to his life, though, so I hope you'll understand that I won't reveal anything more when it comes to that.

Unfortunately, the situation does not get much better. It's entirely possible that he may have to delete his account for the time being - and with it, the story. However, this doesn't mean the story will be gone forever - with his permission, I have all twenty-seven chapters, as well as the current draft for the epilogue, backed up on my system so that the story can be re-uploaded - and finished - at a later date should said deletion occur.

Again, I apologize that this explanation likely won't sate your curiosity about what's going on, but as I said, the reasons behind this are very personal to ConningOfficer's private life, so I hope you understand that.

Now, with that said, let's divert our attention to some... less moody subjects!


6223911 6224034 6224768 6230115 Yes, all things come to an end, both good and bad!

And no, my above message does not mean you'll never see an epilogue. It will come, it'll just take... a lot longer than we'd hoped. :twilightsheepish: Anyway, we're glad you enjoyed the ride; it's was definitely a fun one, wasn't it?


6223919 Indeed he was. It's been quite the ride, hasn't it?:twilightsmile:


6223977 Whoa, there! ... Should've installed a better capacitor. :ajsmug:


6224059 I truly wish I could expedite the arrival of the final chapter, but this is Conning's story, not mine, and he's otherwise unavailable for the time being.

On the other hand: I'm not going to spout nonsense about how "you can do anything if you put your mind to it", but if writing's something you truly enjoy and have an affinity for, then I will absolutely encourage you to strive to be the best you can be! But, yeah, if it becomes more of a chore and you no longer enjoy doing it, then you shouldn't strain yourself in an attempt to reach the level of others. "Be yourself" and "do what you love", as the clichés go.


6224074 I'd chalk it up to a stereotypical god-complex. They think they have claim over whatever they want, yada-yada. Either that or he doesn't actually think that he does, he's just planting the seed of doubt inside her head - minuscule, seemingly insignificant, yet may sprout and grow in time.

Or he lost his mind over the half an eternity of nothing. :pinkiecrazy:


6224165 What are you talking about? Of course AriaxPinkie has to be emphasized! :rainbowdetermined2:

Oh, and yes, it's over. They're all dead. The end. (No, but seriously, there will be an epilogue. Eventually.)


6224174 I did nothing!

....... *ahem* Anyway, we're glad you enjoyed it so much!


6224298 Yes and no. It's not explained as well as it could have been, I'm afraid, but she's basically in a sub-dimensional prison watching over him until he, well, starves to death.


6224366 Sentiments shared by many, it seems! :raritywink:


6224417 Well, if you enjoy writing it, then it's automatically worth the effort if you ask me! Others enjoying it as well just happens to be a bonus. :twilightsmile:


6224512 Truth be told, I also wanted a dark turn with her not seeing the light - and possibly a few other things (such as Rainbow actually dying when the necromantic engine was destroyed). But, Conning intended the story to have a lighter outlook to it from the start, so that's the way things went!

Yes, it really is bittersweet isn't it? The same can be said of any well-written piece. I always reach the end - only to find myself reminiscing and almost wishing it wasn't over. Re-reading is great and all - but it's just not the same, is it?


6224703 6224718 Well, I can see you also really enjoyed the story!

And nothing wrong with playing Devil's Advocate! That's one efficient way to determine alternatives if you ask me. "What if" is one of society's favorite questions, after all.


6224773 That's actually one of the scenes I had in mind when suggesting how to end the chapter - glad to see I wasn't the only one!


6225307 It's certainly a heart-warming idea, if any. Even if their relatives are all long-past now, it's likely still "home" to them at least in some sense.


6225360 Went online found comments read comments now has still no emotion like usual but pretending I do warm fuzziness as well.


6225953 Find out next time on Element Bearer Z!

... But first, seven chapters describing the final sealing of the rift!:derpytongue2:


6226062 I have no words for this comment.


6226108 Unfortunately, while Conning was originally planning a story to follow this one (either a sequel, a prequel, or a side-story, he hadn't quite decided yet I believe), due to recent events one may not come at all, I'm afraid. We'll have to wait and see how things develop from here.


6226835 Believe it or not, we were trying to hold back on the clichés - but as you said, when it comes to this kind of thing a lot of them are inevitable/unavoidable. It's entirely possible to write an epic adventure while avoiding the clichés - but it's a lot of extra effort to do so and keep the story reasonable and well-written (one of the many reasons why my own work is making little progress at the moment).

I think the whole "evil is a lot more powerful and does whatever they want while heroes are underdogs but still win" originates from some human desire to believe that they can actually win against a greater enemy. Self-illusion if you will.

The Element Bearers were hard to determine at the last part, I'll admit, and I think we didn't spend enough time polishing that up. Sonata was intended to be the focal point for this part from the beginning, but as you said, it feels like the others got pushed to the side a little too much. If we were to do a revision of the story (which might happen should my previously-mentioned deletion and re-uploading occur), that's likely one of the things we'll address.


6227833 And we thank you for investing your time in this story, and we're glad you enjoyed it so much!


6228384 Yeah, the issues with pacing and roles are definitely noticeable - in my opinion, we probably should have gone ahead and delayed some of the chapters by an extra week to give us more time to smooth things out. With these past two especially, there were times where we were strained to get the chapters done in time, and while our revisions did ensure the writing was on par, we weren't able to do a deep enough analysis to really work out some of the more obscure focus issues. I suppose we were trying a little too hard to keep that "every two weeks" cycle.

That being said, we appreciate that you're able to look past all the flaws of the story to see all the positive sides, and are glad you enjoyed it so much regardless!


6229587 "The end comes... and when it finds me... I will embrace it at last."

Don't know why, that line just suddenly popped into my head when I read your comment. And yeah, I can totally relate to reading entire works in a single day (Well, in my case, usually night. 600 page book? Pfft, piece of cake!)



6231448 1. Yes, that is quite the amusing quote isn't it? Especially out of context... :ajsmug:

2. You know, Conning wanted to keep the story lighter than I did. What if we had done that for when his true image was revealed? :derpytongue2:

3. That's... really interesting actually. *Ignores alto and imagines Sonata as a bass.*

Oh, and...

"True tests... never end."


6238914 Well, here we go. The one comment I have to break up and address lines individually! (speaking of which, aren't there usually two of you who do this?)

I should think this would make it more oppressive.

You're right, actually. I'll keep that one in mind for when it's actually possible to revise the story!

Did it mention how the lesser races consumed so much food that they weakened Aquastria?

Wat? :rainbowhuh:

He's bsing them. Don't think too hard on it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Back that hay wagon up. What do you mean it was destroyed?! Does Sonata have super throwing strength?!

Yeah, that one threw me off two (though for me it was the very first sentence). Had to re-read both the first few paragraphs and the ending of the last chapter, and kinda was like "uh Conning... is this right?" Apparently, it is. Less because of her physical strength and more of some magic behind it. I guess no one expects the rusty pitchfork to be enchanted, do they?

“Mother had the priestesses seize every set of twins because of the prophecy, but you and your brother were initially overlooked…” she trailed off.

But, the story of the One Who Guides the Waves gave the seaponies and merstallions hope as it was passed from one to another in furtive whispers.

I’m feeling like I’m missing something here.:rainbowderp::twilightblush:

Backstory that existed the entire time but Conning never fit into the chapters. The first concerns... well, a prophecy of the revolution and all that. The second involves Luna. Not sure how much he'd want me to reveal.

Sunset, remember that little talk about choosing our words carefully? I’m not disagreeing with you but words like that usually inspire a ‘taking the third option’ scenario.

Yeah, that statement was a little too absolute for me. One of the things I'd alter slightly, given the chance.

I don’t find it funny at all. *rimshot*

I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but I have no idea how I missed it.

Okay I’ve been simply ignoring most of this for the past little while but now I must speak. This is the point where the ship teasing is neither cute nor humorous but is, in fact, rather annoying. Either make an Official Couple or just drop it entirely. It’s just not funny anymore.:twilightangry2:

*Backs up a couple feet* I think that's one of the instances that actually wasn't intended as a ship-tease, but rather in relation to her relief for how things turned out and in relation to the development between her and the others. Her position between Sunset and Applejack is mostly due to all the interaction she's had with those two. Though now that I look at it, it really does come across as shipping doesn't it?

Either way, though, if the ship-teasing is becoming overbearing for you, I suppose I must personally apologize for that one - after all, I was instigating it to a degree.

Anyway, I'm glad that you enjoyed pretty much everything else in the story, and I really hope you're satisfied with the epilogue, whenever it does come.

P.S. I want Luna and Celestia to get some karma for the callous way they handled this situation.:twilightangry2:

I'm sure Discord would be more than happy to oblige...


6251187 We thank you and are glad you enjoyed it so much!


6251201




6279284 *indicates message on top*


6280259 I know, right? A slight misuse of terms in hindsight, especially with Luna playing much more of a role here than Celestia. Perhaps toward the "light" once more, if we get a chance to revise?


6280691 Why the dislike? I took one look at this comment and though "Star Fox". I got the reference, guys, I got it!

Well... that'll be all for now. Until next time everyone, Dark Goddess out!

6294979

I'm sorry to hear about whatever's going on with CO. :applejackunsure: I hope it doesn't come down to deletion. Sending good thoughts CO's way! :heart: :eeyup:

6294979 Thanks very much for popping in and informing us of the situation. I was prepared for a wait, but I didn't anticipate this much of a wait! For now, I'm going to hope this story - and the account that goes with it - aren't deleted, and devote my time towards improving my craft. With any luck, should he return and examine my works, he'll be pleased with them. And hopefully, the same goes for you!

Whatever time he needs to take, may he take it and may the crisis pass without serious incident.

6294979 First I'd like to thank you for telling us what is going on and to Conning if you see this someday I wish you the best in this situation and i hope this won't come down to the deletion of your account. I'll pray for you. And Serena one more thing you are awesome i love your story it was one of the first stories i read when i started my account. That aside thank you for helping Conning.

6294979
I can't imagine what could possibly require him to delete his account, but it must be quite serious. I hope things get better for him. He wrote a great story, and I'd like to see it finished. My best to him, and to you sir/ma'am.

6295072 You and me both. I've read my fair share of well written fics, and this is right up there with them. While even if he does end up having to take the story down, it won't be permanent, but the fact that it might have to happen at all is fairly disappointing.


6295109 Yeah - as things are right now, deletion isn't necessary, but it's still something that might end up happening, so I felt I should warn you guys ahead of time so that it doesn't just suddenly disappear without an explanation.

I'll definitely take a look at your stories! Though you'll forgive me if my response to them isn't immediate - I've a lot of other things to be doing as well. :twilightsheepish:


6295391 Thank you - both for the well wishes for Conning, and for your praise of my own story (though honestly, I really should give that thing a revision - these past several months as a pre-reader have really shaken the rust off, and I'm ready to get some real work done!)!

Thanks are unnecessary, but I should accept them all the same - I was glad to help Conning out where I could, and I really hope things look up for him myself!


6295402 As it stands, deletion isn't necessary yet, but it's still a possibility. And yes, it really is quite serious (no, he isn't in trouble with FimFiction staff or anything, so once this whole fiasco passes, there shouldn't be any more threat of deletion). While part of me wishes I could tell you what's going on so as to quell your anxiety, the rest of my knows it's best to respect Conning's privacy in that regard.


6295858

The conclusion/continuation of the story and whether or not he can find further time for FimFic is, really, far from important here. Throughout his interactions with all of us, he's proven himself to be a very amiable man.

I could not have said so better myself.

Anyway, I thank you all for your understanding and for bearing with us through all this!

6300217 I could certainly do that; I'll go ahead and relay your message to him and see what he says!

In the mean time, I'll go ahead and reveal what else I know without delving too deep into the personal stuff.

First of all, though as things are now deletion doesn't really seem to be happening, he's going to be out of commission for a few months most likely, so it'll be a while before the story comes to its conclusion.

Second, when it comes to what's actually going on, he isn't in trouble with FimFiction at all (no rule violations or anything), he isn't having any health problems, and he hasn't lost anyone close to him or anything like that (at least, as far as I know :twilightoops:). However, right now I won't be revealing what actually is going on until he responds, but I can tell you that it's still fairly serious.

Anyway, I'll be waiting on his response to reveal more, but if he does ask me not to reveal anything else, I hope you understand that I'll respect his wishes in that regard.

question

assuming that such a thing would even be possible in the show

what might it be like to explore the life of a pony character who is a living embodiment of the element of passion?

think about that for a moment folks


a otherwise normal earth pony sort of character that has absolutelly no ability to channel magic of any kind whatsoever and by some quark of fate has the ability to literally grow stronger as a person in every way possible in terms of over all physical strength , stamina , endurance and power levels just by the strength of their own positive emotions.


just using this as a example folks but you know how the hulk literally grows stronger and more powerful the more angry and enraged he becomes.

well invert that whole idea in such a way that the the pony character literally grows stronger both from the particuler emotions they are experiencing at the moment but also it being due in equal part to the purity of said positive emotion.

that is to say that the pony character power and ability to use that power in various ways is entirely dependent on 3 things at the moment it all happens.

the particuler emotion the pony character is experiencing at the moment , the actual purity of the emotion itself as a positive emotion
but also that pony characters level of will power , their desire to act in taking action in the matter but also their level of self confidence as well


this is the simple equation to udnersntading the source of that pony characters power

self confidence+positive emotion+courage+desire +willpower=passion

each one of the 5 interact exponentially with the other 4 resulting in the pony character at the most extreme being able to subtly influence probability itself in a entirely unknown sub conciouse sort of way in a manner of speaking that pony character being a very low level warper of reality itself due to said pony character being able to make the impossible possible all through the strength of thier passion to be thier for thier family and friends at any cost ot thier own personal wel lbeing


for all intents and purposes the odds against the pony character suriviving in al ife threatening situation could be as much as literally a million to none odds runing against the pony character surviving that situation . but so long as that pony hcaracter has as little as 0.00000001 percent courage to push theirself into the fight the odds might as well be 100 percent in the pony charactes favor

put most simply

positive aligned passion being the equestrian equivalent of a humans ability to generate and channel spiral power in gurren laggan but with it also having certain sublte thems of courage borrowed from brave king gaogaigar as well at least i think it woudl be a sutiable way of explroing such matters theme wise anyways.



but at the same time that pony hcaractes ability to manifest such awesome pwoer in the ffirst place would be entirly based i nthat ponyt hcaracters subconciousne mind that is to say that it would serve asa kind of power limiter in its way so as to insure that the pony character would not be able to in any way manifest thier increidlby pwoer ful abilites in any kind of intentionally morally curruptive sort of way so as to insure the pony character would neve be able to knwowingly and willfully misuse and abusethier increidfbly powerful abilities in this regard but at the same time though due to the nature of theirstrength cocnerning thier incredeidbly pwoeful abiltieis negative emotins would essentually act asa kidn of kryptonigte that could weakner and even causeextrme il ,lhealth resulting in the charactss untimely death out right due to said long term depression brought about by extreme negative emotions


think toxix energon/dark energon the wya it severly weakns a transformers character in transformers priem . thats hwo terribly severly powerful negative emtoions would effect the pony hcaracters health in that crippling debilititating ill health sort of way folks




if it were a human character having such abilities i think domon kashu from g gundam, guy shishioh from brave king gaogaigar and kamina from gurren laggan would be possible examples of what it is i am trying to describe idea wise

from what i can understand of gurren laggan spiral warriors are in thier way rather comparable to the green lantern corps of dc comcis . at least insofar as that person who is the spiral warrior genrating and using thierwil lpower in sucha way that they basicly maniefiest it into relaity asa kind of actual tangible form of energy that can be given phsycial depth form and substance as wel lin adition to using it for any of a larger nubmer of possible purposes and reasons as well

essentually a spiral warrior is very much liek a green latnern in temrs of willpwoer but does nto require a oan ring and power battery to maniefst thier willpwoer itno actual physical reality

while in brave king gaogaigar the heroes manifest thier increidble energy from a g-stone which basicly takes thier coruage and psotive emotions feeds on it and uses it to enhance their life energy exponetnially giving that person all the power they need to come out on top as the figher triumphant aganst the most impossible of odds so long as that character has the courage to go on lviing and fihting to survive


while in g gundam thefighters literally grow more pwoerful just from fueling up on thier positive emotions +thier willpower and heroic resolve psuhging themselves ever onwards to greater levrels of heroism and badassery throughout the series . its liek thefighters human emotions asre so freakign pwoerful it makes it possible for that human fighters gundam mecha mobvile suit to ltierally go mecha supersiayan for all intents and purposes folks

and in kill la kill well that show has hot blooded heroesim at its absolute finest what wiht the fact that ryuko might as well be kaminas daughter in spirit for all intents and purposes folks

basicly the whoel elemtn of passion concept as it could posisbly exist in the world of equestira my little pony fiction wise is a attempt on my part to combine the best themes of gaogaigars themes of courage,gurren laganns themes of will power kill la kills themes of hot blooded heroes and g gundams themess of heroic fighting spirit all nto shared parts of the same concept that is passion with ech of those traits being component qualities repsentative of the elelmtn of passion
when it comes to the type of characters that are hot blooded heroes folks They are so burningly passionate about everything that they do that they seem larger than life. They give their all in absolutely everything they do, regardless of the task. They can say the cheesiest of lines with a straight face -- the best of them can say things that are so cheesy they use the So Bad, It's Good principle to become awesome. These characters are Hot-Blooded.

Using the power of guts, determination, and badassery; they throw themselves headfirst into the worst situations imaginable and come out on top through sheer force of will and often have a strong tendency to do impressive things. Even non hot-blooded characters or the nicest ones can occasionally have their own hot-blooded incidents; this is frequently their Moment of Awesome.
Beware if they go into Tranquil Fury; when someone's really managed to piss them off.

This state of mind allows much whoop-ass to be uncanned without undue stress. When the time comes for the showdown between the Hero and the Big Bad, do not expect to see furious angry rage. Instead, expect The Hero (or Anti-Hero)'s face to be serenely, eerily calm. They will not appear to be even slightly put out with the villain but that won't stop them from trying to hack the villain to hundreds of tiny pieces. A defeat by someone in the grip of Tranquil Fury is likely to be more comprehensive than others, as the job will be done in a properly thorough fashion.
This is different from The Quiet One and The Stoic. The character in the grip of Tranquil Fury isn't necessarily an emotional cripple, and in day to day life they may be perfectly normal and happy. What defines Tranquil Fury is the tendency to become deadly serious when it gets deadly serious.


put most simply tranquil fury is a state of mind that one acheives when one has learned to be fully in precise control of thier anger and their smoldering white hot rage while in that fully induced furious murderous rage state of mind

liek being all white hot on the inside liek a erupting super volcano on the inside and all calm and cool and relaxed on the outside like a liek a creeping tidal wave as it rises up out of the ocean towards the shoreeline

put less eloquently metaphorically folks try to imagine a fully murderous enraged furiouse madman who has all the skilful control over thier tmper of a well trained brain neurosurgeon and you get the gneral idea.


antiheroes liek vegeta and batman hapepn to be dman good exmaples of such characters in thierway

“I may yet entertain that as a viable option for your ascendance, Sonata! Now, cease this disobedience, extinguish that infernal light and serve your Master!” Leviathan’s rage shook the cavern walls once again.

I really enjoy seeing him wavering back and forth on this point.

And there. Its all finished except the wrap-up. A massive round of applause!

6720960 ... Really?

Oh...


Let me go and rethink my life from this wonderful corner right now, if you don't mind.

It's been almost a year. Please don't let this die so close to the finish.

7285792 Dude's been gone forty-four weeks and, like you said it hasn't been updated in eleven months. :fluttercry:
I think it's time you make up your own ending and call it canon. :pinkiecrazy:
Hey, still a better solution then I've done with unfinished stories; I just don't read them:rainbowderp:

7292512 It's just a shame to see a good story just die with no finish.

This was an amazing story. Truly one of the most epic I've ever read

Just reread the story and love it even more! I hope you decide to conclude it some day.

I hope to see an update soon.^_^

You've only got one more chapter to go now.

Come on man, you can do it.

How the hell haven't I READ this chapter until now? I was tracking this thing since I found it, so how didn't I notice that this got updated?

Login or register to comment