• Published 5th Jun 2015
  • 1,646 Views, 161 Comments

Seattle Seapony - dNihil



Cala woke up in the middle of the night, stuck within a limbless body. Her skin burned horribly.

  • ...
14
 161
 1,646

[1-0] Prelude

Three souls slept in an apartment flat.

Lights shone in the window of one bedroom, ever flickering as cars drove by on the street below. Dull noise hummed through the walls; never urgent, not disturbing, just the ambient murmur that had always been seated in the small city.

Two lumps on separate twin beds rose and fell slowly with the breath of two girls sleeping peacefully. The younger girl rested beneath a pale red comforter. Not a jarring shade of pink. On the other side of the room was a slightly larger bed. In it slept a grown, more shapely teenager, curled up and with her face slightly under the covers. A glow might have been seen coming from it, if anyone were awake to see it.

Up on a shelf, there was all sorts of bric-á-brac collected over years of living. Behind the more recent clutter lay dusty childhood memories. Old toys and figurines, left behind and forgotten; not entirely non-existant. In the back of it all was an aquamarine unicorn toy. A child's phantom friend trapped within plastic, shining eyes begging to be freed. Yet it, like the rest of the old junk, was dusty and old and left forgotten.

The world shifted.

Aquamarine shards of broken plastic lay forgotten on the back of an old, dusty shelf. After years of living, it had been buried behind loads of newer objects, accumulations more cared about. The old childhood memories of torn toys were left behind and remained buried there.

Two beds were fitted into two other dark corners of the room. On one lay dark sheets, strewn off and messy, left behind as though its occupant had vacated abruptly. The other, smaller bed by the window looked less empty, but certainly not comfortable. A twisted, wrangled form struggled under the thick red comforter, as if grasping for air. Then it stopped, and shifted into a slack position. If someone caught a glimpse, they may have seen how soaked the sheets were underneath.

A steady light shone down on the prone form through the window. It was a dim light, lifeless and dull as the city that emitted it. There was a fierce hush in the city, encapsulating the world in a choking silence. It bathed the former home in a fierce enervation never before known to it.

A single soul lay in the apartment flat.