• Published 26th Dec 2015
  • 17,607 Views, 4,549 Comments

Equestrian Eeveelution. - Symphonicdysonince



So, my friends and I woke up in this forest none of us recognize, and were scattered by these wooden dog things. Now I gotta find my friends before we get into any more trouble. Now if only I wasn't a foot tall, and can say more than "Eevee"....

  • ...
64
 4,549
 17,607

PreviousChapters Next
A Kernal of Truth.

I looked around at the room. All of the unicorns and Silver were gaping like landed Magikarp, but the majority of us were confused. I leaned towards Rainbow, hoping to get some form of clarification.

"What's a kernal?" Thankfully, Scootaloo spoke up first.

"It's where magic comes from." Sweetie answered.

"It's a little more complicated then that." Rarity allowed.

Twilight nodded. "Quite. A kernal is a meta-physical organ that converts potential energies into mana, which can in turn be used to empower, enchant, or cast spells. Since every living thing on Equis has a kernal, including vegetation, life has evolved here to need mana to properly function. This is why mana exhaustion is so dangerous, and why anypony can suffer from it, and why having a kernal that doesn't, or can't, produce enough mana means hospitalization."

"And that's not even the most exciting part!" Moon Dancer added. "Here's the kicker: Twilight only said 'a kernal'. As in singular. One." She jabbed a hoof at the image. "These Eevees have four! Four! And they're putting out more mana then they can use, to the point that it passively heals them. Can you imagine what else the extra kernals let them do?"

<<Solar Flares, apparently.>>

"This may even explain their weather manipulation abilities!"

Twilight chuckled. "Down, Moony. If older theories are to be believed, and this discovery potentially confirms, Star Swirl the Bearded was born with an extra kernal."

"Sorry," Moon Dancer nervously smiled, "I'm just curious if this is the cause behind their rapid mutation and evolution. But what would cause a species to evolve such a mutation?" She paused, tapping her chin. "Wasn't Star Swirl also rumored to have a font? Maybe the two may be connected?" She turned to address the rest of the group. "A font is the basically the opposite of having a kernal that doesn't make enough mana, but makes too much."

"Maybe," Twilight allowed, "but we won't know for sure until we can confirm a font. But that's not important right now. Notice how two of Leo's kernals dimmed? Notice how one dimmed with the use of her Solar Flare, and another with her Agility? It may be possible that an Eevee's abilities are grouped, and each group pulls from a different kernal?"

<<Attack, Special attack, Defense, and Special Defense?>> I heard Yomega mutter. <<No, where would buffing fit in?>>

"And there's something else I'm now curious about." Twilight continued, gesturing to the hoodied filly amongst us. "Silver's earlier comment made me wonder: what does a summon's scans look like? For that, I'll need to either borrow Zephyr or Eros." She glanced at the fillies. "Failing their cooperation, I can always summon up one myself."

"Sorry, Twilight," Spike interrupted, "your license's expired. You still haven't sent the forms in."

Twilight frowned, obviously making a mental note. Eros rolled her eyes, put on her earmuffs, and teleported into the scanner's bowl. With the decision made for us, Moon Dancer turned the machine on. Once we realized what was going on, the Pack all scrambled to get theirs back on. Noticing my struggle, Rainbow jammed mine on just in time.

The screeching filled the basement, all of us waiting for the baseline to be set. Soon enough, Twilight gestured to Sweetie, who in turn nodded. Next thing I know, I'm being suspended in the air within the little Ralts' mental might.

... I hate psychic types... I grumbled as I floated. I really hope she puts me down before letting go. With that thought, I landed on my ass. I shot a glare at the feeling Pokemon, and I swear I saw a slight smile. You did that deliberately, didn't you?

"Did I?"

"Right, outta our head."

"W-what?"

And stay out! I glanced at the ceiling. Unless I invite you in! I huffed.

I felt hooves wrap themselves around me. "You okay, Leo?" Rainbow whispered.

<<I hate her types...>> I grumbled to her.

"You don't like Raltses?"

<<No, psychic types.>>

"Yeah, that's not translating well." Rainbow sighed. "Let's just see what the eggheads have figured out."

I looked over at the two mares pouring over the small screen. <<Looks like they may be a while...>>

"Get this on the projector!" Twilight exclaimed.

Moon Dancer faced the group. "We need to get your opinions on this!" A new set of images appeared, quickly cycling through the skeletal, organ, and general body structure, the hemograph , and stopped on the leygraph. At least, according to Yomega. Just as with our scans, Eros' also had a large area with a pervasive glow, this one centered around her head. She also had a smaller one in her chest area.

Thunderlane progressed the reel until it showed the dimming of the glow. "Here is her lifting Leo." Twilight explained. She pointed to the larger distortion. "This is where Eros' largest kernal is." Her hoof moved to Eros' chest. "And here are her other three. What do you girls think this means?"

Silence grew as those of us who didn't travel dimensions tried to figure it out.

Oddly, Silver figured it out first. "Are... are you saying that Eevees are a type of summon?"

"But where's their circle?" Apple Bloom asked. "An' if they don' have one, what about Zann's leg? No offence." She looked over at the orange canine.

Zann just curled his tail around himself.

"That's just it!" Moon Dancer smiled. "Think about it. If there's a circle, who summoned them?"

"Sorry, but, um..." Fluttershy tried to speak up. "From what they told me, I don't think they were summoned."

"Then why haven't they been banished yet?" Moon Dancer continued, pointing at Zann. When no one answered, she sighed and explained. "It means that these Eevees must be a naturalized version of a summon, and one the circles haven't ever seen before! When were they summoned? Why were they summoned? Why wasn't the summon documented? What caused them to be stuck here? What did they look like before they naturalized into these?"

"Now we're entering into theorycrafting." Twilight began.

Moon Dancer snorted. "Or, as Headmaster Brain Pan calls it, "Mass Wild Ass Guessing"."

"Yeah," Twilight rolled her eyes, "that. Unfortunately, That's going to take a lot of work, pouring over everything we've discovered so far. We can only ask that we keep the Pack available for any future experiments." She paused in thought. "Maybe even your summons, girls."

A slight crack signaled Eros absconding with Sweetie.

Scootaloo looked at the vacant spot. "Ye~ah, good luck with that."

Author's Note:

What's a Kernal? That's a Kernal!

In other news, the Eeveelutionverse has gained a new side story! Check out Melodiac's story here.

As usual, Read, Review, and Enjoy!

PreviousChapters Next