• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 152 Views, 1 Comments

Ryezing: Tome of Dreams - ThatOneGuy0531



A Great and Powerful Vagabond crosses paths with a strange unicorn with an unknown objective. Can they work together long enough to get the promised bits, or will the great mountain consume them, that is, if they don't get themselves killed first?

  • ...
 1
 152

Chapter 12

“So if I had fallen asleep, he would have been able to make me do anything he wants?”

“Yep.”

“How does that work?”

“Something, something, your nightmares control you, something, something, slave forever.”

“Seems kind of lame for one of the final spells in an ancient book.”

“You get the cool red eyes, though.”

“Wait, the drake?”

“Their eyes are usually an icy blue.”

“The dog?”

“Probably.”

“And the beaver...” She looked like she finally put something together in her head.

“Not sure about the beaver, but those things can be pretty awful on their own.”

“The one I saw had the red eyes though.”

“I wouldn’t doubt it.”

It had been about five days since the mountain. The ride east would be another two weeks by wagon. Though, it shouldn’t be too hard of a journey for the two eohunds courtesy of the Canterlot Royal Guard. Strong creatures, muscular legs, neck and tail, and firm stomachs; if they aren’t too well fed. Trixie moved back under the canopy to where I couldn’t see her. I was sitting still holding the reigns. I would’ve thought she ditch me if I didn’t constantly hear her fiddling around with all the papers, tools, and junk for cargo. On occasion she would even knock on the wood as if to test the carpenters’ work for herself.

“What’s this?”

“What’s what?”

“‘From the Department of the Royal Council of Canterlot and Royal Guard of Canterlot. Memorandum for your Record.’ A bunch of numbers and then ‘Arcane Knight is to locate and secure magical item of discrete importance’ blah blah blah- this is yours right? About the book?”

“Yep, please don’t go through my stuff.”

“Uh-huh, it says here you’re supposed to return it someone on the council. Are they the ones who are going to pay me?”

“Pay us.”

“Are they?”

“Yep.”

“Ok.”

She went quiet. I looked back and saw her darting her eyes across the page; left, right, up, down. Her brows furrowed more and more the longer she read.

“Lulamoon. Lulamoon.” She wasn’t paying attention to me. “Lu-la-moon... Trixie!”

“Yeah.”

“It’s rude to not reply. Anyway, can you not-”

“I’ve read a couple of contracts before and this seems kind of fishy. The document itself is very official. It looks like it came from somepony very important, but the way they want you to go about this retrieval is kind of weird. I mean, why would they want you to bring it to some ‘unaffiliated third-party’ and not directly to the princess if it’s going to end up stored in ‘Celestia’s private vault’ You’re even told not to tell the princesses you have arrived until after they’ve ‘secured’ it.”

Hmmm.

“I’m sure there’s a lot of paperwork that comes with securing a weapon of unknown strength.”

“I guess, but then why are you getting paid ‘only after the item has been secured?’ There are some bank writs here with your name on it from the ‘Department of the Royal Guard.’ All of them dated a month apart, all for the same amount. You’re on a salary. They could have made you do this for free?”

“Maybe it’s just a nice bonus.”

“For going out of your way being all sneaky about the exchange? Are you not Royal Guard? Don’t they directly report to the princesses?”

“And how would you know how the Royal Guard operates.”

“I’ve been in a holding cell a few times. Trixie needs her beauty sleep.”

I thought about what she said. None of it came as a surprise to me if I am being completely honest. It does seem weird to go around the princess like this, but I eventually report to her anyway right? She knows what is going on. I have to tell her every detail. I may not particularly like the council, though I do not appreciate the condescending air some of them carry. Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things. I just like being petty. Yeah. I really like being petty.

“Yep, you’re right. Something is fishy.” She was confused about my sudden shift in tone. “We should do something about it.”

“What are you talking about?”

“The book.”

“No.”

“Why.”

“I still want to get paid.”

“But you just went on this whole spiel.”

“Because I was bored!”

“I don’t know, you seemed really convincing.”

“Let’s talk about something else! Like...uh...Oh! What was it you were going to tell me?”

“When?”

“In the cave. After the game.”

“Oh! What keeps me going?”

“Yeah, that!” She didn’t seem as flustered now.

“Yeah, about that. Nevermind.” Let’s see if we can’t bring the fluster back.

“Wow! Really?”

“Yeah, you seem alright now. I doubt anything I say right now will land.”

“Are you really doing this?” Yes, I am.

“Yes, I am.”

“And here I was considering offering you a generously discounted ticket to one of my shows If you truly were able to offer Trixie some sagely advice.”

“I’ll live, Haha”

“Yeah, but you’ll never really live, ha!”

The trail turned to the right, hugging the mountain as we continued our descent. The treeline to the left side broke, revealing a brilliant green sprawling valley. Where we passed there was still a light frost, but from this point forward the vibrant green leaves will begin to overpower the harshness of the white mountain. The clouds in the sky looked like the sea-foam of a tranquil ocean inviting us to rest in its gentle rocking. In the distance rested the great beast, the Lindworm itself. I pulled the reins and beckoned the hunds to stop. Trixie took in the radiant canvas of a landscape as well. She didn’t debate about the stopping of the wagon despite our time-table. This was ours and ours alone.

I got off the wagon and walked toward the ledge of the cliff. There was a mighty river dividing the mountain from the valley. Steadfast and powerful, though not vicious, it crawled to the right of the mountain, disappearing behind the great stones at the bottom of the cliff.

“Lulamoon, come here for a second.”

“I think I’m gonna stay over here.”

“Come on.”

“No. You’re going to throw me off the cliff for going through your stuff and asking too many questions.”

“Bring the book the book while you’re at it.”

“What for?”

“Just do it. I want to ask you something.”

She grabbed the book and slowly walked over to me. She stopped just out of arm’s reach.

“I’m not getting any closer.”

“That’s fine. Can I see the book.”

“Sure…”

There was some hesitation in her grip. She seemed more concerned with the book’s well-being than anything else. I lifted the heavy cover and took in the faded ink on the page. I flipped through the pages, glossing over each cantrip, each ritual, each hymn before finally arriving at the final pages; the pages that bewildered our gracious host. It illustrated an ancient enchantment. One that could halt entire invasions without a single clash of blades or crack of canons. A spell that could trap creatures in their own minds indefinitely. An endless siege of a nightmarish hell personally-tailored to each individual unlucky enough to be caught in its range. The things that could be done. The ultimate cage for criminals, life-sentences served in an instant, uprisings quelled before lives are irreparably damaged...

I looked back at Trixie. She had taken a step backward since handing me the book. I turned. She flinched. Her hand ready on the pouch that no doubt carries her smoke bombs. I must have gone somewhere for a moment.

“Lulamoon.”

“...Yeah?” She was ready to go.

“A lot of good can be done with this book.”

“Uh-huh…”

“Look, just relax-”

“Nope, I’m good.”

“...Look, a lot of good can come from this book. A lot of good. But I know...” I stared into her lilac eyes again; tarnished with fear. She was ready to fight all over again if need be.

“...but I know you know what this book can really do. You’re a smart mare, you can fill in the blanks.”

“I don’t care what it can really do, Arcane. I just want the money. That’s it. Don’t overthink this.”

“I know you do, and I’m not overthinking. Which is why I want to ask you. Knowing, what this can do. All the good, all the bad, and everything in between. And just for grins and chuckles let’s assume that the money was guaranteed either way. Would you feel okay giving this book to ponies that are, at least to you, complete strangers.”

“...Assuming the money is guaranteed?”

“Assuming the money is guaranteed, would you give this to someone you don’t know?”

“What kind of ponies are they?” That’s a good question, Trixie. We’re on the same page.

“I will neither vouch for or against them.”

“...Then no…”

“Explain.”

“There’s a rule I follow when it comes to gambling. It doesn’t work for everypony, but it works for me. I don’t like the whole fifty-fifty thing. I don’t know If the pony getting the book is a good or bad pony. Even then, I don’t know what the pony thinks is good or bad. There are too many things for me to worry about. I’d do something that puts things in my favor.”

I got up close to her face. I stared directly into her eyes one more time. “Are you sure.”

We stared at each other for a long time.

“...It seemed obvious to me. Why gamble?”

“It did, didn’t it…I just needed to hear it.”

“Are you okay then? Everything is fine? Put the book down.”I pulled back my left arm and prepared my angle. “STOP! I NEED THAT!”

“You’ve convinced me.”

“I TAKE IT BACK!”

“This is a separate matter, but I’m also really petty.” I chucked the book as hard as my arm would let me over the valley. It danced in the rising wind for a brief moment before finally plunging into the ground far below. I felt...relieved for some reason. Come what may, but right here right now? This moment. It’s mine.

I stared off into the valley for what seemed like an hour. It was a calmness I had not felt in a long time. Well, since the start of this whole trip I guess.

“I don’t know, Lulamoon. I feel pretty good about that.”

“...”

“Ah, don’t worry too much about it. You’ve made it this far! I’m sure you’ll think of something!” I sat down on the ledge. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t prepared to be pushed.

“Come on, sit down and enjoy the view with me.” When I turned I could see her trudging toward the wagon. Just a wistful husk of a body without a soul to inhabit it. It was killing my mood, but it wasn’t anything this beautiful view couldn’t fix. Out of sight out of mind.

I looked off for another while. Now that she’s all sulky she might be willing to hear some of my sagely advice. Yeah, why not. If it cheers her up, it beats being given the cold shoulder the whole trip back.

“Trixie, you want to know what keeps me going when time after time things don’t seem to go my way. I’m probably gonna get a stern talking too for returning empty-handed, I’ll probably be given some tedious assignment out of spite, my bonus will be gone, but you know what’s gonna keep me going?” I tapped my index finger on my skull a few times for effect. “This. Specifically the piece of mind I get knowing that I can still take matters into my own hands despite the cards I’ve been dealt. The decisions I do make; I make because I believe they are right. My mind is clear. It’s not the easiest, but I think it’s worth it in the end. I don’t say this lightly, but...uhhhh...you reminded me of that. Over these last few days you got knocked down again and again, but you got back each time. You could have left me on that mountain, but you came back. I don’t know what possessed you, but it wasn’t my winning personality.” I got back to my feet. “I guess what I’m trying to say is,” Cue my dramatic turn towards her for maximum transmission of gratitude.

“Tha-” She’s gone.

Where’s my wagon…

“-T DAMN MINX!”