• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,740 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,740

PreviousChapters Next
Dashed

Beyond the valley that cradled the city of Atlantrot, dull green mountains stretched, covered all over with thick foliage and trees. The air was crisp, but not too thin. Migrating birds flocked overhead, filling the atmosphere with song that rivaled the bustling roar that hissed off the streets below. All in all, it was a relatively charming urban portrait.

Rainbow Dash wasn't in the mood to drink any of it in.

Instead, she hovered limply over the lower skyscrapers of the city's southern end. Rich earth ponies stood on balcony gardens, drinking tea and talking over newspapers and stock reports. Upon first glance of the winged pony, the couldn't help but perform double-takes.

It occurred to Rainbow Dash that perhaps that city wasn't accustomed to wandering pegasi. It wasn't enough to distract her from her funk. With a deflating sigh, she flew across the street, found a particularly tall building, and nestled herself beneath its sky-jutting spire.

Brushing a hoof through her mane, she gazed south past rolling hills. Part of her wondered if she might see Central Fillyda from that height. A chilling thought entered her mind when she wondered just how much more difficult it would be to try and spot Orlandoats from Ponyville. The distance stretched further and further apart in her imagination, widening the gap in her already aching heart.

Nostrils flaring, she squatted low, resting a sullen muzzle on crossed forelimbs.

"I can give her everything," she mumbled into the cool air. "Awesomeness... radicalness... thrills beyond belief..."

Her ruby eyes traced the sky.

"I can win her cider... apples... business deals and bits out the fuzzy ears..."

A painful jolt ran through Rainbow's body, and she cringed.

"But... I can't..." She slowly shook her head as her eyes watered. "...I can't ever give her foals." She leaned her chin tighter against her fetlocks to keep from trembling. "Is that really... really such a big deal?" She sniffled, and she clenched her eyes shut. "And if so, why d-didn't I ever think of it before?"

A gust of wind blew at her bangs.

The mare shuddered.

"Lancie, for once... I wish you were here..." Her voice cracked. "I need somepony to tell me just how stupid I am..." She gnashed her teeth as a tear or two squeezed loose. "Friggin' idiot. Always thinking about yourself. Never about her."

Her breath shook. She sniffled. And then she lay still amidst the quiet hush of the lonely skyscraper.

PreviousChapters Next