• Published 21st Nov 2017
  • 339 Views, 62 Comments

Through the Darkness of Space - Lt Rainbow Slash



The journal of an explorer among the stars. Inspired by Elite: Dangerous

  • ...
0
 62
 339

Day 12: Exploration

24 November, 3603
Day 12
3,437LY from Cel

After the last three days of drama today was a welcome return to normality. No wrecked ships. No stranded survivors (barring the two ex-castaways currently aboard my ship). Just space to be explored.

Having the two much more experienced explorers aboard was quite the interesting experience. Skip Ray took to the co-pilot's seat like a fish to water. He flew a Cobra like mine years ago, and you could see the nostalgic grin on his face most of the day. Star Cam spent most of the day looking over and analyzing the scans and exploration data I've collected so far. She has a doctorate in astrophysics as well as xenobiology so she was able to point out some interesting anomalies and bits of data that would seem normal and boring to my untrained eye.

We covered a ton of space. Lots of mineral rich systems, but few life bearing worlds. It was a bit frustrating honestly. We did find one system with two water worlds, one of which is terraformable. So there was that.

On another note, I slept horribly last night. I'm so used to just the barest hum of the ship and my own breathing. Having two other ponies in the same space threw me off a bit. Skip also snores so that didn't help (don't tell him I said that).

Three ponies also drains my food supplies quite quick. One day costs three times as much to keep us all fed, not to mention the drain on my water supply (no pun intended). I contacted the Anaconda that's to rendezvous and they informed me they had more than enough supplies to top me off. So that makes the whole point moot. Which I don't mind in the slightest.

I set us down on a small world for the evening. It's binary so the view from the canopy is awesome:

Tomorrow we meet with the Anaconda and I say goodbye to my travel companions. Overall...a good day.

Until next time,
-Con

Today's Discoveries:

Pru Eurk YI-B c13-24:
Water World tf, Feanor
Water World, Oceanus