• Published 21st Nov 2017
  • 339 Views, 62 Comments

Through the Darkness of Space - Lt Rainbow Slash



The journal of an explorer among the stars. Inspired by Elite: Dangerous

  • ...
0
 62
 339

Day 1: Departure

13 November, 3603
Day 1
312LY from Cel

For the first time in my life I feel alone. Well and truly alone. Until now there's always been somepony else. Whether it be an inhabited system, or just another ship passing by. In the Inhabited Bubble there's always somepony else. But I'm not in the Bubble anymore. I'm not far out: only about 160 Light Years from the edge. But it's strange being so alone. I'm just going to have to get used to it I suppose.

It took me seven hours just to cross the Bubble. Visited a few stations on my way through. Mostly refuelling and changing my loadout slightly. I kept myself armed as I made my way towards uninhabited space. Never know when you're gonna get jumped by some pirates. Not that I had anything worth stealing. The ship has been completely stripped of any non essentials, meaning I don't have a cargo rack. I did get interdicted by pirate at one point. She was going to leave me alone when she saw I had no cargo, but she had a bounty on her head so I went ahead and collected. She was a bit of a pushover honestly.

I ditched my weaponry as I neared the edge of inhabited space. I'm not gonna encounter anypony way out there, and without the extra weight I can boost my jump range by a few decimals of a light year. I am lugging around an SRV (basically a small rover for those non pilots) so I can do some surface sampling and exploring on planetary surfaces should I feel like it. Plenty of scanning equipment, the best Frame Shift Drive (FSD) my Cobra can mount, and a reactor to power it all. Oh and a cheap shield. I...may have a bit of a habit of hard landings and I'd rather not damage the hull. I'm not going to be anywhere where I can repair so I need to avoid breaking my ship. (No shit Con. You should always avoid breaking your ship! I was exhausted when I wrote this.)

On another note I found a water world. Breathable atmosphere too. Already discovered by somepony else, but whatever. I went down and landed on the edge of the Northern ice cap and used it as an excuse to stretch my wings. Nice place if a bit cold, though thats probably more down to the fact that I was near the north pole than anything. I spent maybe two hours down there. I took some detailed scans of the ice. No doubt the eggheads back home will want to analyze the crap out of them.

Other than that, today was pretty boring. Not much worth scanning, and everything this close to the Bubble has been discovered already. Hopefully tomorrow will be more interesting.

Until next time,
-Con