• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,653 Views, 13,300 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,300
 14,653

PreviousChapters Next
Return to Hunter's Dream?

Later...

Rainbow Dash and the Herald drifted through one of countless serpentine corridors, making their gradual way Curveside. Vibrant vines of fungal growth draped over the looming precipices above them, casting a kaleidoscopic glow in all directions. All the while, various creatures of hitherto inconceivable configuration flitted and scurried about the path of the mana-powered caravan.

Fluttershy's vision darted every which way, and the ghostly pegasus' lips pursed as she observed specimen after mysterious specimen with bright, enthusiastic eyes. Once or twice, an insectoid lifeform with luminescent blue wings flitted by, and Fluttershy drifted steadily after it—mesmerized—only to collide muzzle-first with a translucent lavender forcefield. The mare hovered in place, rubbing her fuzzy nose while the rest of her companions caught up, giggling and nuzzling her sweetly.

Rainbow Dash watched from afar. Occasionally she would throw a look over her shoulder, taking note of Seraphimus.

The griffin in question sat silently where she was chained-up in the back of the wagon. She looked lethargic—yes—but alert. There was no question that Seraphimus had taken the necessary step in... sustaining herself.

Rainbow took a deep breath—but it wasn't in pride.

"It's for the best, Rainbow," Twilight said.

Rainbow looked at her.

Twilight explained: "Keeping her restrained. Seraphimus is simply too much of a liability—even now. We can't risk what might happen to you or your friends if she were to be let go."

"I just can't seem to get to her," Rainbow Dash muttered.

Twilight gave a supportive smile. "Just give her time."

"Is that enough? I mean, really?" Rainbow glared ahead of them, nostrils flaring slightly. "What did Princess Celestia do to get you to value the magic of friendship?"

"Ehhhh..." Twilight Sparkle fidgeted in mid-hover. "She... gently prodded me into visiting Ponyville... so that you and I and the rest of us would be in the right place and time to help out her sister, Princess Luna escape the clutches of Nightmare Moon. But..." She cleared her throat. "... ... ...what precisely are you getting at?"

"I dunno, Twi." Rainbow sighed. "It just feels as though I'm practically beating Seraphimus over the head with 'harmony' and crud. Like... 'Hey! Guess what! I'm going to chain you down for months and months until you accept Harmony into your heart as your personal, magical savior!'"

"Seraphimus has tried multiple times to kill you and your friends, Rainbow Dash," Twilight said. "All things considered, you've shown waaaay more than ample mercy."

"I'm not talking about 'mercy,' Twi. Besides, we're beyond that." Rainbow exhaled heavily. "I just feel that... if Princess Celestia were here, she'd have figured out a method that's far wiser and... kinder by now."

"Princess Celestia isn't here, Rainbow Dash. And—besides—hasn't the likes of Mortuana taught us that not all things this far from Equestria can be solved by the usual methods of the Royal Sisters? Or even Whitemane?"

"Even still, I wish I could make things easier for Seraphimus."

"But you can't. So you've gotta resort to this... for her safety as much as for your own." Twilight smiled. "It's going to work, Rainbow. It just takes time."

Rainbow squinted at her in mid-glide. "Y'know... the Twilight Sparkle who joined me in Kihutaja would have been appalled at me chaining up anyone."

Twilight looked back with a stern expression. "Well, I've come a long way from the Twilight Sparkle who stumbled back to life in Kihutaja... or abandoned you in the Quade." She gulped. "And you've come an even longer way than the rest of us, Rainbow. Only... it's taken a greater toll on you, I fear."

Rainbow stared ahead, wings flapping limply. "I'm alright, Twilight. Trust me."

"I do." Twilight nodded. "That's what worries."

Rainbow glanced back at her.

Twilight bit her lip. "I just hope... when all of this is said and done and we've finally returned to Equestria... that you can be alright with returning to who you once were."

"And just who says that that's what I'm going to earn, Twilight?" Rainbow asked. "Or even that I deserve it?"

Twilight fumbled for a response.

In the meantime...

Logan and Flynn were eyeing a scurrying reptilian creature with a pulsating blue tail. It ran up the side of a wall, then clung to a patch of rock hanging over the canyon path as the Hover Plank shifted beneath it.

"Hey... Baldy..." Logan nodded his head towards the small animal. "You see that thing?"

"Mmmhmmm." Flynn responded in a knowing tone. "Same specimen we've been seeing all throughout this leg of the trek."

"What's the count, you think? Two dozen? Three?"

"I've been keeping a thorrough count!" Kepler spoke up. "It's well overr forrty in the past thrree hourrs alone!"

"That's a large enough number to me." Schiiing! Logan pulled out his axe and spoke over his shoulder. "Double-yoo?"

Without hesitation, the Desperado at the rear of the craft picked up an Emeraldinian dagger from the back of the wagon, twirled it once, and—thwisssssssssssssssssh!—flung it in a blur at the creature.

Thunk! Glowing blue blood splattered across the rock as the ancient blade pinned the alien reptile in place. Before it could so much as squirm—

"Hnnngh!" Logan swung up with his blade as the craft passed under. SCHLIIIINK! He instantly decapitated the specimen.

Pinkie, Rarity, and Applejack winced. While staring with beaded eyes, Rarity reached a fetlock over and belatedly covered Fluttershy's dumbstruck face.

Rainbow barely flinched. She looked over with an exasperated sigh. "Really? Must you?"

"Yeah." Logan reached over and grasped the creature's still-twitching torso. "We must."

"Clean swing, Big Show," Flynn said. "Let's hope all game goes down that quick."

"Hold onto that thought." Logan turned and tossed the bloody source of meat towards Kepler. "Here ya go, Keps. Take a closer look and see if our stomachs an handle it."

Kepler grasped the creature and prepared his alchemic equipment. "Will do, frriend. And—might I suggest—we shouldn't land any morre kills until I have prresented a scientific opinion."

Seraphimus droned: "You'll want to spread the kills out across the environment—so as not to disastorously alter the local food chain." Her manacles rattled as the wagon navigated bumpy terrain. "There's not telling if your group will need to perform a strategic retreat and camp out in previously-tread locations."

"Indubitably!" Kepler proceeded with his dissection.

Twilight Sparkle struggled to keep her nonexistent lunch in. She looked away from the gore—only to find herself staring in the face of Rainbow Dash.

"Are you still so sure that I should reconsider traditional Equestrian dieting customs?"

Twilight gulped. "To b-be fair, Rainbow Dash, I never told you I was ever 'sure.'"

Rainbow contemplated that with a sullen breath, then resumed her steadfast glide.

As Kepler carved into the meat, the reptilian muscles of the thing finally stopped twitching. A translucent cloud of ruby energy rose up from the creature, waving back and forth like a leaf caught in the breeze.

Ariel passed by—and as she did so, she reached her hoof out and watched as the stream of ruby light phased through her fetlock. She exhaled with an undeniable shudder. "Not so easy to have a sandwich when the lunch meat does that."

"Then keep your eyes shut," Logan grunted.

"Easy for you to say."

"Don't be an asshole. It's never been easy." Logan's nostrils flared. "But—then again—that's why we all made it this far. We've known that since day one."

Wildcard hand-signed something.

Flynn interpreted: "'And the ones who haven't?'"

"Well, now they know more than the rest of us combined," Logan said.

Rainbow bit her lip.

Seraphimus looked thoughtfully at Logan. She leaned back in her restraints, resting.

The Herald continued through the ravines in somber silence.

PreviousChapters Next