• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,654 Views, 13,300 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,300
 14,654

PreviousChapters Next
You Are Located Here

Flynn, Logan, and Kepler were full of wide eyes. They had found a narrow gap between the mountain's cliffs and the furthest Edgeside platform of the abandoned city, and they had utilized the chaotic energy of the scoured metals to glide the wagon onto one of the elevated roads. Now they were slowly cruising through the upper heart of the vacant metropolis, making their way towards where the rest of the group had gathered.

As they glided along, they saw the figures of Rainbow, Ariel, and Wildcard flying overhead.

Kepler adjusted his spectacles. He gazed at them, then continued gawking at the rest of the urban surroundings.

Flynn mouthed curse words of amazement as his mechanical eye rotated in and out.

Logan was silent... contemplative... cautious. His gaze lingered more on their distant friends than anything else. He stared at a silver figure in particular...


Swooooooooosh! Ariel landed first. She turned to face the companions she had summoned there.

"Okay..." She stood in the middle of an elevated bridge, catching her breath. "...so I was flying around, and I found this." She pointed at a tall structure standing up in the middle of the courtyard behind her. A monolith. "If I didn't know better, I'd say it was a marker of some sort. Perhaps for giving directions."

"Yeah...?" Rainbow Dash flew down along with Wildcard. "...well, if that was the case, it'd have to have a bunch of writing on it."

"It does," Ariel said with a slight smirk. She stepped sideways, gesturing. "Feast your eyes."

Wildcard looked at Rainbow.

Rainbow's eyes narrowed. Slowly, she glided forward and hovered evenly with the tall black structure.

Sure enough, there were white etchings in the obsidian surface of the monolith. They were too small to be read at a distance. Rainbow guessed that they were designed purposefully to be read up close, and—judging from the writing's elevated distance from the floor below—they were meant to be read by beings who could fly... like she was right now.

Wildcard and Ariel crowded behind Rainbow, craning their necks to see the writing as well. Twilight, Applejack, and the others had to phase through the Heraldites to get close enough.

Rainbow's eyes darted left and right, studying each character and etching carefully. Her lips pursed, weathering swift, fervent breaths.

"Well, Rainbow?" Rarity looked aside. "Any thoughts?"

"See anything you recognize, Rainbow?" Fluttershy asked.

"This..." Rainbow's ears twitched. "...this looks very familiar..." Her tail flicked. "I mean... I don't understand any of it. But the... the alphabet that's being used... the characters—" Her voice went silent as her eyes locked on something.

"What?" Pinkie leaned in closer, phasing through Rainbow's own face. "What is it? Whaaaaaat?"

Twilight gently shoved Pinkie away so Rainbow could no longer be blinded. "Rainbow Dash...?"

"This... this one tiny thingy right here..." Rainbow pointed at what resembled a blossoming flower with vibrant petals. "...this is one half of 'Eljunbyro.'"

Twilight's eyes widened. "You sure about that?!"

"Wait..." Ariel exchanged glances with Wildcard. "...did she say 'Eljunbyro?'"

"But it's not. It's just... using the same character..." Rainbow thought aloud. "The same language..."

Wildcard cocked his head aside.

"And..." Rainbow pointed at a round symbol with other circles inside. "...this looks a bit like 'Ynanhluutr.' Only... the stuff inside the big circle are different." She gulped. "Must be a different word..."

"Is this the same language the Xonans used?" Ariel asked.

Rainbow gulped. "Yes." She flew back a bit, shuddering slightly. "It is."

Wildcard gestured something.

Ariel nodded. "Yep. They sure did love using circles."

"Uh huh..." Rainbow sighed. "Lots and lots of circles..."

"There's a super big one up there," Ariel said, pointing towards the top of the monolith. "Like... bigger than all the rest. I figured it was the most important."

"Huh?" Rainbow Dash looked up at the top of the structure. She immediately did a double-take, her eyes widening. "Holy crap!"

Wildcard and Ariel flinched.

"What?!" Fluttershy clung to Rarity. "What is it—?!"

"Fluttershy!" Rarity whimpered. "Calm down—!"

Fwoooosh! Rainbow Dash flew straight up to the large symbol, gawking at it. "No... friggin'... way..."

"What is it, sugarcube?" Applejack asked. "What's gotten you so spooked?!"

Rainbow's eyes twitched as they followed segmented circles within circles, replete with thick dots occupying each empty space. "This... this is 'Urohringr.'" A gulp. "Straight up. It's friggin' Urohringr."

"You sure about that?" Pinkie asked.

"Sure as I am alive and ticking." Rainbow fought numbness as she continued to gawk at the hauntingly familiar emblem. "It's the same thing I saw guarding the inner chamber of Stratopolis... that showed up constantly in the texts that Pilate scavenged. And... and I'm pretty sure I even saw it deep down in the—" She stopped in mid-sentence. Pensively, she raised her hoof and pressed it against the monolith, making physical contact.

Nothing happened.

"Whewwwwwwwwww..." Rainbow Dash released her hoof and swiped her brow dry. "Not sure my friggin' heart can handle much more today..."

"So, let me get this straight..." Ariel flew closer to Rainbow Dash. "This structure... this city is bearing the same ancient language and symbols that you saw back in Xona? And Stratopolis?" She blinked. "... ... ...even the Machine World?"

"Yes. It's the same. All of it." Rainbow Dash flew back, studying the monolith at a glance. "This entire city. It's..." She froze in mid-speech. She stole a glance at Wildcard and Ariel, then gazed over at her ghostly companions. "Twilight... girls... what if..." Her ears twitched as she gazed up at the stars. "...this is where they lived?"

"Where who lived?" Rarity asked.

"The ancient pegasi. The builders of Urohringr. Those who lived before the Sundering... maybe even those who caused it..." Rainbow took a deep breath. "This was their city. This is where they went about their daily lives. This is where they thrived... and where they eventually lost everything."

Twilight and the others were dumstruck.

Wildcard and Ariel looked nervously about the levels upon levels of empty urbanscape.

"Think about it..." Rainbow Dash murmured. "...if this place was built out of the same stuff that made the Sentinels... that made the mechanical intestines of Urohringr itself... then it's no wonder it's survived so long. And here? On the Dark Side? Devoid of the natural elements that characterize the Light Side? That would otherwise have blanketed or obscured or eroded it into nothingness? This... this is an ancient city frozen forever in time. A pre-prehistoric place. Like... we may totally be the first living souls to have stumbled upon this place in forever."

"Or... or maybe not..." Twilight looked up at Rainbow Dash. "Chief Engineer Ranort. The Emeraldinians? Maybe they were here too?"

Rainbow looked around. "This place is so friggin' huge. I don't see how they would have left a mark."

"I wonder if they would have even understood all of this," Rarity remarked. "They didn't possess the same knowledge that the Austraeoh has gathered."

"Rainbow Dash..." Fluttershy looked at their anchor. "...what if you were meant to discover this place?"

Silence.

"One thing's for certain..." Rainbow gazed at the monolith again. "...this is the absolute closest I've been to the ancient pegasi and their civilization." She gulped. "Not even Stratopolis is a drop in the bucket now..."

PreviousChapters Next