• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,654 Views, 13,300 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,300
 14,654

PreviousChapters Next
The Things Wildcard Says

"You're not gonna be making much smoke, are ya, Keps?" Logan asked, squinting cross the campsite.

"Negatorry, frriend." Kepler stoked the freshly-prepared flames. He had fashioned a crude spit utilizing old Emeraldinian metals. With the turn of a makeshift crank, he rotated the slain creature from hours ago, cooking it from all angles. "I've used a rreagent frrom my alchemy kit. The fumes should not be too grreat. If I turrn out to be wrrong, we can simply use a lunarr rrune to quickly extinguish it."

"Well, okay..." Logan exhaled. He resumed erecting a tent across the clearing. A series of rock formations flanked the campsite, dripping with luminescent vines. The Herald nestled themselves safely within the penumbra of the alien fungae's glow. "You just give us a tongue-rolling shout as soon as you need anything."

"Someone's itching to do a taste-test," Flynn droned.

"I suspected that it was my place to endurre such," Kepler said.

"Don't worry, Keps." Ariel flew back and forth between the wagon with supplies. "We'll make sure that Big Show doesn't eat our only chance in testing the quality of meat around here."

"It's not about that!" Logan grunted.

"Point well taken." Flynn smirked in the middle of setting up a tent. "If Kepler's experiment proves helpful, Big Show can just run off and inhale his own meat."

"Ha-Hah!"

Logan snorted. "Shitbags, the whole lot of you."

"You know you love ussssss," Ariel said melodically.

"Bite me."

"Not until Kepler tests you first."

"Heheheheh..."

In the meantime, Rainbow Dash sat down, sipping from a canteen. She sat across from Wildcard who was setting up another fire—this one closer to the camp. The petite pegasus delighted in the warmth from the freshly-lit flame. Her friends gathered close by, mellow and quiet.

"Mmmmm..." Rainbow took a last drink of water and screwed her container shut. "Not that I'm complaining... but I expected a tad bit less mundanity from a place forever labeled 'the Dark Side.'"

"Rainbow Dash?" Rarity's eyelashes fluttered. "Darling?" Her dainty expression hardened into an iron scowl. "Do kindly close your trap."

"Heeheehee!" Pinkie Pie giggled.

"Girls, please..." Fluttershy interjected. "She didn't mean anything stupid by it." The mare sighed out the side of her muzzle. "Even if it was a stupid thing to say."

Rainbow Dash winced. "Yeahhhhhhhhh... I do have a habit of inviting the worst." She looked across the fire at Wildcard. "Good thing I'm with friends who are used to the worst, eh, Wildcard?"

Wildcard looked back at her. He smiled under his dark goggles. The lenses reflected Rainbow's earnest smile in the firelight.

Rainbow sighed. "How are you holding up?"

Wildcard gave a thumb's up. With an Emeraldinian rapier, he stoked the flames. He breathed in... breathed out. After a silent pause, the griffin looked at Rainbow again.

Rainbow looked back.

Wildcard glanced over at the group. His headcrest drooped... as if in contemplation. He readjusted his metal grip of the rapier, then looked back at Rainbow Dash. Shuffling sideways—away from the flame—he squatted closer to her. The stone floor of the campsite had a thin layer of dirt and ash covering it. With slow movement of his limbs, he drew the tip of the blade across the sediment.

Rainbow Dash watched with silent attention.

Gradually, the Desperado formed legible words in the dirt. He did so with surprisingly good handwriting, positioned so that the pegasus could read.

Rainbow's friends all floated closer. They craned their ghostly necks to see over her shoulder.

At long last, the griffin finished. When he was done, the word "WILDCARD" rested between them in all capital letters. He paused when he was done, looking up at Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow's eyes met his goggles.

He held up a metal finger... then reached down to underline the first word "WILD." When he was done, he placed the sword down and sat up straight. He then proceeded to make complex motion with his right talon. Multiple fingers stretched out in various directions morphed into just one talon pointing straight up. He repeated the motion, all the while rotating the talon in question clockwise.

Rainbow blinked.

After half-a-minute, Wildcard picked up the sword again. He circled the "CARD" part, then placed the weapon back down. Facing Rainbow directly, he cradled both hands together, then charaded "dealing cards" across the table. It wasn't until the third repetition of this that Rainbow realized he was moving his beak with each signal so as to convey the phrase.

"Is this time for Go Fish?" Pinkie squeaked. An orange hoof slapped across her head. "Owie!"

"Land's sakes, Pinkie!" Applejack leaned back. "Dun you see what's goin' on?"

"It's his name," Twilight Sparkle murmured. She looked directly at their anchor. "He's teaching you how to say his name."

"Uhhhhhhhhh..." Rainbow Dash looked at her stubby hooves. With a crooked smile, she looked at Wildcard and shrugged.

Wildcard waved his metal hand from side to side. He smiled placatingly under his beak.

"He's not teaching us how to say it, darling," Rarity calmly reassured. "Simply how to 'read' it."

"Ohhhhhhhh." Twilight nodded. "That would make sense."

Next, Wildcard held a finger up.

Rainbow watched intently.

Using the broad side of the Emeraldinian sword, Wildcard smoothed the dust and dirt between them. Using his metal finger this time, he produced new letters.

Rainbow sensed a silver-feathered figure atop the wagon craning her neck and looking at the scene with sudden interest. The mare ignored Seraphimus for the time being, staring intently at the Desperado the entire time.

Wildcard finished writing the two words in the dirt. He underlined "RAINBOW." Then—facing the pegasus—he spread the fingers of both talons partially, with his left hand pointed up and his right hand stretched over so that it was facing down toward's the left. Then, while mouthing the word, he pulled his right hand from right to left before Rainbow Dash in a curved arc. He repeated this multiple times, with Rainbow watching intently.

"Hey!" Pinkie grinned. "It's Dashie!"

"Half of her, anyway," Applejack said.

"This is so... so fascinating," Twilight Sparkle cooed. "Back in Equestria, there's a system for wordless communicating via the levitation of small sticks—but only unicorns can do it." She blinked. "Looks like—in Wyvern Point—they invented a robust vocabulary for just their natural-born digits!"

Rainbow leaned forward. "What about 'Dash?'"

Wildcard circled the second half of Rainbow's name. However, his metal finger stalled in the dirt. Goggles rattled as he stared blankly forward for a few seconds.

"Awwwwwww..." Fluttershy pouted. "You stumped him!"

"I suppose wyverns are simply slow-moving," Rarity droned, causing Pinkie to giggle again.

The Desperado fumed silently for a second. Then—after smacking the back of his feathered skull—he faced Rainbow directly. He held his right hand up with two fingers pointing up and his thumb out. Then—quickly—he brought both fingers together in almost a "snapping" motion while dragging his hand swiftly towards the center of his torso. He repeated this—preceding it with the "RAINBOW" signal this time. In the end, he smiled beneath his beak.

"Awesome..." Rainbow evaluated. Her wingtips fluttered. "Do your name again."

Wildcard did so—far faster this time.

Rainbow's ruby eyes darted, but she found that she was recognizing it.

"Cool," she said. The mare looked over her shoulder. Blue cheeks turned a bit rosy. "Uhhh..." She leaned towards Wildcard with a devilish smirk. "Do 'Ariel.'"

"... ... ..." Wildcard sat perfectly still.

"Wuh oh..." Applejack winced.

Wildcard sighed... albeit with a soft smile. He rubbed the sediment smooth once again. Then—grabbing Rainbow's attention—he drew simply the letter "A." Immediately afterwards, he held his flesh talon up in a fist with the shiny wrist facing Rainbow. Shortly after, he drew an "R," then raised two fingers up—with his pointing finger crossing slightly in front of the middle.

"Hoo boy..." Rainbow Dash stifled a chuckle.

"This... might take a while," Twilight Sparkle said.

PreviousChapters Next