• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,653 Views, 13,300 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,300
 14,653

PreviousChapters Next
Rainbow Dash's Dream Phone

“I have spoken at great length to every member of the matriarchal councils,” Nat'rdo's voice insisted. Her shadowy figure stood against a backdrop of gently rotating stars. “They have agreed—much as I have—that the enchanting touch of the Mother of Nightmares sensed within you cannot be ignored.” A pair of glowing eyeslits narrowed. “I have had my observations within the dream corroborated by my fellow dreamwalkers. The matriarchs have been made fully aware of the severity of this situation.”

“Uh huh...” Rainbow Dash paced before her, trotting leisurely across a carpet of slowly swirling galaxies. She absent-mindedly tapped a constellation with her wingfeathers and watched as the nebulae scattered. “I hear ya...”

“By order of the Supreme Nightblood Assembly of Saros, Lexxic and all of his subordinate officers have been commanded to temporarily cease all patrols and take a passive stance. The physicality of your appearance is being divulged to all commanding warriors so that you will be given a peaceful greeting on sight.”

“Is that so...?”

“Then, with a squadron of Nightbloods to accompany you, you are invited to direct yourself to the Mother of Nightmare's Dream Roost. There—in the company of the Matriarchs—you will be welcome to share that which you know concerning the Dream Giver and her current fate.”

“Me and me alone?”

The faint outline of equine bodies shifted behind Nat'rdo. Rainbow thought that she heard voices whispering and hissing in the galactic void.

At last, the foreground figure said, “You may elect a group of fellow peers to accompany you. But—for the sake of simplicity—I would suggest keeping the number to a minimum.”

Rainbow glanced her way with an arched eyebrow. “So we'll be easier to contend with, huh?”

Nat'rdo breathed. “No, W'ynlppa yln H'luun. Because it will take less of a toll on us. Perhaps you do not understand the honor being bestowed upon you. Nopony who lacks the esteemed mother-blood of divine rule is allowed in the Dream Roost, and it is certainly not a sanctuary granted to those foaled outside the Dream. By extending this invitation, the matriarchs are knowingly and willfully breaking the very foundation of sacred and honored tradition so as to have you in their divine company. A conference of this magnitude has not been arranged since the grand exodus of the Vigil carried us safely from the burning wings of the Daybreaker.

“You guys must have a lot of reasons to be paranoid, huh?”

“Even beyond the edges of the stone eclipse that shelters us, we are sensitive to the burning deception of the Daybreaker,” Nat'rdo said. “Several centuries following the criminal exile of the Mother of Nightmares, the Daybreaker's false light still encroaches upon the cleansing darkness. Her light is a false light, a Dream-Ender, and a corrupting pestilence upon this pure and unending nightscape. While you carry with you the essence of the Dream Mother's blessing, the shadow you carry is that produced by a False Star.” Nat'rdo slowly shook her head. “Every instinct tells me that we must keep you at a safe distance, but then that would erase all hope of understanding the blessing that you carry. Please... understand that this decision was not made lightly, W'ynlppa yln H'luun.”

“Oh, I know it must be a super hard choice for you.” Rainbow squinted at her as she paced closer. “But what of Lexxic?”

Silence.

“Lexxic—in stalwart faith and devotion—has already chosen to follow the matriarchs' command.

“Oh, sure. He's following orders.” Rainbow smiled tiredly across the dreamscape. “But what if he had to choose?

“That is irrelevant,” Nat'rdo stated. “As the supreme field Nightblood general, Lexxic is bound to the oath foaled into his flesh and blood by the Dream—

“I've no doubt he knows what he's supposed to do,” Rainbow Dash said. “But is he supposed to like it? You think a guy who has accomplished so many violent things is gonna just idly sit back and let up on bloodletting so that some random stranger from Penumbra can go on a tour of the Dream Roost?”

“His acts of righteous fury have been committed in the name of the Vigil's cause,” Nat'rdo said. “Trust me. He knows his place in the fight over the Sarcophagus.”

“I'd like to think so.” Rainbow gestured. “But everywhere I go, I hear nothing but savage things spoken of the dude. He murders left and right without taking prisoners.” Her brow furrowed. “He and his cronies aimed a friggin' death laser at me.” A shuddering breath. “Almost got us too... and he didn't seem to care when they sensed we were nearby.”

“Lexxic's reputation is the serrated edge of his mighty sword,” Nat'rdo explained. “It takes a great deal of effort to intimidate the sort of enemies we've had to contend with since the Exodus first brought us here countless generations ago. The Nightblood generals before Lexxic gave up on even trying to do more than wound our foes. Lexxic thought otherwise. For his guile, his innovation, and his efficiency—he has become an exceptional weapon against our combined enemies, and we are closer to the Sarcophagus than ever before.”

“Which makes you wonder...” Rainbow folded her forelimbs. “When an ambitious sucker like Lexxic gets up to the front door, how far is he going to go to get all the keys he needs?” A cautious breath. “And just who is going to open the gate when the time comes. Himself?”

Nat'rdo was silent for a bit. Expressionless.

At last, she said, “I speak to you on behalf of the Vigil—the same cause that the Mother of Nightmares gave her freedom to preserve when she was betrayed by the Daybreaker. Everything we do on this side of the Crescent or the other is committed to the restoration of the Mother of Nightmares to glory—as she herself has so graced us with the gift of corporeal existence. It is written in the Book of Saros: 'The Mother's blessing is our blessing.' And we extend this blessing to you, W'ynlppa yln H'luun. But it is not something that is given easily. Every moment that we place our forces on standby, we sacrifice precious inches of ground to the vile swarms and corrupted armadas of our enemies. It is a difficult enough allotment of time to sacrifice once. I daresay we cannot sacrifice it again.”

“Even for the blessing of Luna?” Rainbow said.

Please, W'ynlppa yln H'luun,” Nat'rdo spoke with a rising tone to her voice. “I cannot give you any more assurances than that which has been provided. Distance and circumstance is making that increasingly difficult. I promise you yet again that no harm will come to you and your companions.”

“I don't even know where to friggin' go—”

“Return towards the Edge until you see the Mother Torch. Once you have made visual contact, make your way towards it.”

“The Mother Torch...?” Rainbow's muzzle scrunched. “You mean... that enchanted replica of the moon you've got tethered somewhere?”

“Follow it's blessed glow,” Nat'rdo continued. “It will lead you to the tree of the Roost. But you will not reach there alone. Lexxic and his fellow Nightbloods will find you.”

“Find us? Find us how?”

”They will find you,” Nat'rdo repeated. “And they will bring you to the sanctum. There, you will be safe... so that the enlightenment of the Mother's blessing may proceed. You have my promise.”

“Your promise.”

On my life,” Nat'rdo finished—with a flash of fangs.

“... … ...” Rainbow Dash rubbed her chin in thought.

“Is this acceptable, W'ynlppa yln H'luun?” Nat'rdo asked. The figures behind here grew antsy, shifting and flickering like black candles.

Rainbow continued rubbing her chin. She took a slow, contemplative breath...

PreviousChapters Next